Zucchini Flowers: Properties and How to Prepare Them
Zucchini flowers are a type of vegetable that can be consumed on a regular basis and they provide several health benefits. These flowers have high-quality antioxidants that can improve the functioning of your internal organs. Moreover, they can be easily prepared, and are quite versatile. The whole family will love them!
Before we begin, we should mention that the regular intake of vegetables is considered essential to prevent the development of complex pathologies over the years. Below, we’ll tell you about the properties of these flowers and show you how to prepare them. Read on!
Properties of zucchini flowers
Zucchini flowers are a good source of vitamins and phytochemicals. Above all, it’s important to highlight their vitamin C content. This element has proven to be essential to keep the immune system in good working order. It stimulates both the innate and the adaptive part of human defenses. Thus, the risk of contracting infections is reduced.
It is also worth mentioning the fiber content, a substance that helps to improve the health of the digestive tract, according to research published in the journal Nature Reviews. Not only will it reduce constipation, but it’ll also stimulate the growth of the bacteria that make up the microbiota. This is key to preventing dysbiosis states that cause inflammatory problems.
In addition, this food provides few calories. Thus, zucchini flowers can be included without any problem in the context of a low-energy diet aimed at promoting weight loss. They also contain a lot of vitamin A, which, in addition to generating an antioxidant effect, will also help prevent visual problems. This is according to a study published in Sub-Cellular Biochemistry.
Read more here: Zucchini for Weight Loss: An Ideal Food
Zucchini flowers stuffed with cottage cheese
The ingredients you’ll need to prepare this recipe are as follows:
- 8 mini zucchini with their flowers
- 200 grams (8 oz) of cottage cheese
- 20 grams (nearly 1 oz) of raw almonds
- 20 grams of grana padano cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 8 chive leaves
- 1 tablespoon of black sesame seeds
- Maldon salt
- 1 tablespoon of ground ñora pepper
- 16 garlic flowers
- Ground basil
Step by step
- First of all, you must carefully open the zucchini flowers to be able to stuff them later.
- Then, place the ricotta together with the salt and raw almonds in a bowl.
- Once mixed, add the grated grana padano.
- Season everything with a little pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
- With this mixture you’ll stuff the flowers, separating the petals first and then rolling them up.
- Now, heat a pot of water and place a steamer basket on top.
- Put the flowers into the steamer basket without letting them touch the water.
- Season with a little more oil and leave for 10 minutes.
- Afterwards, you can consume them by adding the garlic flowers, basil, Maldon salt, sesame, and ñora.
Another great recipe: Juicy Vegan Zucchini Omelette
Egg-stuffed zucchini flowers
For this great recipe, you’ll need the following products:
- 10 zucchini flowers
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 regular zucchini
- 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 1 large onion
- 1 whole egg
- 250 grams (10 oz) of heavy cream
- Fresh chives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed coriander seeds
- 1 pinch of lemon juice
Step by step instructions
- You should sauté the onion with the tomatoes and the zucchini. All these vegetables should be cut into small pieces.
- Then, add the coriander, salt, pepper, egg, and breadcrumbs.
- Cook everything for 15 minutes over a low heat and then let it cool.
- Then, fill the flowers with the help of a pastry bag.
- Close the flowers and place them in a steamer tray with the chives.
- Cook them for 10 minutes.
- To finish, add a little cream on top, with a pinch of lemon juice and more chives.
Zucchini flowers, beneficial for your health
As you can see, zucchini flowers have many benefits for our health that can be included in the framework of a varied and balanced diet. They have plenty of quality nutrients and phytochemicals, elements that help to keep oxidation and inflammation under control.It might interest you...