Juicy Vegan Zucchini Omelette
This vegan zucchini omelet is an excellent substitute for the traditional potato and egg omelette. It’s perfect for strict vegetarian diets, since it also doesn’t have eggs. Additionally, it’s very good for anyone watching their weight, since zucchini has a very low calorie content.
Nutritional value and benefits of zucchini
Zucchini contains a lot of water and a low sugar content thanks to the small amount of carbohydrates it contains. Looking at its nutritional value, it’s worth noting the large amount of essential minerals it has: potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, iron, and calcium.
In addition, it’s full of antioxidants like vitamins C, B9, and K. Thanks to its composition, eating zucchini can provide many benefits that we’ll list below.
1. Improves your cardiovascular health
Zucchini doesn’t have any cholesterol, therefore, you should eat it if you suffer from hypercholesterolemia. Therefore, if you include zucchini in your daily diet, you’ll get a lot of nutrients without increasing your LDL (bad cholesterol) levels.
2. Helps your digestion
Zucchini contains a significant amount of mucilage, a type of soluble fiber that is very good for your intestinal health, since it improves constipation, acidity, and reflux.
Additionally, it helps develop beneficial bacteria in your intestinal flora and facilitates the absorption of nutrients, thanks to its prebiotic effects. Eating zucchini is associated with prevention of gastric ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
3. Prevents arterial hypertension
Zucchini contains potassium, a mineral associated with arterial hypotension, since it interferes with urinary excretion of sodium and a lack of potassium is associated with an increase in blood pressure.
Additionally, eating dishes with zucchini is associated with the elimination of excess liquids, a very beneficial property for people who suffer from oliguria (the production of abnormally small amounts of urine) or kidney stones.
Read also: Zucchini for Weight Loss: An Ideal Food
Recipe for vegan zucchini omelette
As you’ll see, this vegan zucchini omelette is relatively easy to make and comes out delicious. Additionally, you can accompany it with a salad, vegetable ratatouille, cream of carrot and chia, gazpacho, or any other vegetarian recipe.
Ingredients for vegan zucchini omelette
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 large onion
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 100 grams (4 oz) of chickpea flour
- 1 large tablespoon of cornstarch
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) of vegetable milk, preferably soy
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) of water
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Read also: How to Make Almond Milk to Lose Weight
How to make your vegan zucchini omelette
- First, julienne the onion and peel and cut the zucchini in slices.
- To cook these vegetables you can use a frying pan or the microwave. If you use a frying pan, put about 4 tablespoons of oil and simmer on medium heat until the onion and zucchini soften. If you want to use less oil, you can use the microwave: add the vegetables to a bowl with a microwave-safe lid and cook it in intervals of two minutes until it is well-cooked.
- Next, to make the egg-substitute mixture, add chickpea flour, cornstarch, water, and vegetable milk to a bowl. Mix well with the help of a hand mixer and add salt and pepper to taste. You can add any other spices you’d like.
- Then, add the zucchini and onion stir-fry to your mixture in the bowl. It’s important to add it little by little and stop when you think you have a thick mixture. The amount can vary based on the water in the vegetables and how much they shrink while cooking.
5. The mixture will thicken over time, so it’s important to prepare it immediately before you add it to the zucchini and onion.
6. After that, put oil in a frying pan and, once it’s hot enough, add the contents of the bowl.
7. You can use a plate or lid to cover the frying pan to flip the omelette. You’ll know it’s time to flip when the edges start to set and little bubbles come out of the middle.
8. Then, cook the other side until golden brown and remove from the heat.
9. Now your vegan zucchini omelette is ready!
Make this recipe for your whole family and take advantage of the beneficial properties of zucchini we mentioned in this article. It’s a great way to include these vegetables in your youngest one’s diet!