8 Simple Tips to Treat Frizzy Hair
Frizzy hair has many causes, from chemical treatments to hair styling appliances such as straighteners or hair dryers. The result is usually the same. Dry hair tends to suffer from frizz, which only gets worse when there’s more humidity in the air. Take a look at this article to discover a few home remedies to treat frizzy hair.
Why do I have frizzy hair?
Frizzy hair is synonymous with dryness. In other words, a lack of moisture and natural oils. The external layer of the cuticle becomes rough, making the hair more porous. This allows water vapor molecules to “stick” to the hair and make it “swell up”.
That’s why people who live in humid climates (or just about any place during the summer) are more prone to suffering from this problem.
Read more here: 5 Hair Masks to Prevent Frizz
Despite the fact that many people suffer from this problem, there are ways to get rid of it. We can’t just “blame it all” on the weather or the rain. It’s important to keep your hair healthy at all times.
Home remedies are great alternatives because your hair doesn’t become dependent on them. They don’t contain chemicals, they’re more affordable, and they offer more long-term results. Having said that, they can sometimes take a while to work in comparison to store-bought products.
Home remedies to treat frizzy hair
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can help treat frizzy hair by smoothing out your hair cuticles. Simply apply it to your hair after washing it and then comb it with a wide tooth comb. After that, use your regular conditioner. When you rinse out your hair, use the coldest water you can stand in order to close the cuticles and make your hair smoother and shinier.
Olive oil and eggs
In a bowl, mix ¼ cup olive oil with one whole egg. Apply this mixture to your hair, leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wash it with a moisturizing shampoo. After that, use your regular conditioner.
Olive oil helps keep your hair moist. Egg, on the other hand, has a natural amino acid called L-cysteine which helps new cells grow and repairs hair tissue.
This rinse should be used after shampooing. You just have to mix a tablespoon of pure honey with a 2 pints of water. After washing your hair, apply this mixture while your hair is still completely wet. Use your regular conditioner.
Honey is an excellent natural moisturizer which attracts and holds on to water molecules that moisturize your hair.
Mix two cups of boiling water with one tablespoon of chamomile flowers and let it steep for an hour. After that, add ¼ tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Wash your hair with shampoo and then apply this infusion (which should be cold or lukewarm). Then, use your regular conditioner.
Discover: 3 Egg Remedies to Moisturize Dry Hair
This hair mask should be used once a week to help treat frizzy hair. It will eliminate dryness and nourish your hair and scalp. Plus, it’ll provide your hair with proteins to help it look healthier.
To prepare the mask:
- Mix ¼ cup mayonnaise with one egg.
- Then apply the mixture to your hair
- Cover your head with a towel, and leave on for half an hour.
- Remove the mixture by washing your hair with shampoo and hot water.
- Then, use conditioner and rinse with cold water.
Avocado and banana
Mash a banana and an avocado. Mix the two together and apply this mixture to your hair. Bananas have a lot of antioxidants and minerals that will make your hair healthier, while avocados are rich in fatty acids that provide extra nourishment. They’ve both got some great properties to help treat frizzy hair.
Aloe vera and coconut
- Clean two aloe vera stems and open them up to remove the gel.
- Place it in a bowl.
- Mix the gel with three tablespoons of coconut oil (you can also use olive oil).
- Apply the mixture to your hair, cover it with a plastic shower cap, and leave on for 30 minutes.
- Wash it out with plenty of water and then use the same products as always to wash your hair.
Both of the ingredients in this mixture moisturize your hair, making it smoother and shinier.
Banana, oil, and honey
- Wet your hair with lukewarm water and wrap it in a towel.
- Mash two ripe bananas and add one tablespoon of honey and five drops of almond oil or olive oil.
- Once you have a smooth mixture, apply it to your hair, cover with a shower cap, and leave on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with plenty of water and wash it with the same products as always.
Tips to avoid frizzy hair
- Style your hair in a ponytail: Wash your hair and then apply a good amount of conditioner with coconut oil or castor oil. Rinse with cold water and comb with a wide tooth comb. Always use cloth hair ties instead of elastic bands. Take the ponytail out once your hair has dried.
- Always use brushes with natural bristles or wide tooth combs. Plastic bristles can make your hair even frizzier.
- Use an anti-frizz mask after washing your hair, but before drying it. Although it may seem obvious, don’t overdry your hair because this will make it frizzier.
- After washing your hair, comb it to the left, wait a few minutes, and then comb it to the other side. Then, brush it as you normally would.
- Use products, such as shampoo and conditioner, that are specially made for dry hair.
- Avoid using straighteners and hair dryers because their high temperatures dry out your hair and, like hair dyes, make hair fibers tougher.
- Try not to constantly touch your hair. You should only comb it when it’s wet.
- Don’t towel dry your hair too aggressively because this could break your hair cuticles.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Lario O. Aporta brillo y reduce el encrespamiento: los beneficios del vinagre de manzana para el pelo. Vanity Fair. 2022. Disponible en: https://www.revistavanityfair.es/articulos/beneficios-vinagre-manzana-cabello.
- Maes Honey. La miel para el pelo: propiedades y beneficios. MaesHoney. 2021. Disponible en: https://www.maeshoney.com/miel-para-el-pelo.
- Suárez C. Mascarilla de aguacate para el cabello: para qué sirve y cómo usarla.Vogue México. 2021. Disponible en: https://www.vogue.mx/belleza/articulo/mascarilla-de-aguacate-para-el-cabello-beneficios-y-como-se-usa.
- Almazán E. 3 mascarillas de plátano para renovar tu cabello al instante. Glamour. 2022. Disponible en: https://www.glamour.mx/belleza/articulos/mascarillas-de-platano-para-cabello-maltratado-opaco-y-debil/18196.