6 Remedies for Swelling in Your Ankles, Feet and Legs
Often, swelling in the ankles, feet and legs is caused by fluid retention throughout the body. This, in turn, causes the accumulation of toxins and waste that can worsen the inflammation.
There are many things that can influence swelling in your lower limbs. Among the common causes are pregnancy, being overweight, obesity, standing for long periods of time, and of course, excessive fluid retention.
But sometimes you need to pay close attention to this kind of swelling. This is because it could also be a symptom of a more serious problem like liver disease, venous thrombosis, or an obstruction of the lymphatic system.
How to help you ankles, feet and legs
If your ankles, feet and legs remain swollen for long periods of time, it’s very important that you consult your doctor to get to the root of the problem. In other cases where the swelling is short-term, the following natural remedies might be a big help in getting them to return to their normal size.
ExerciseContrary to popular belief, exercise is one of the best ways to reduce or eliminate swelling in the lower limbs.circulation
- Recommendation: Try taking up swimming. As a matter of fact, this is a low impact exercise that doesn’t put additional pressure on the ankles, feet and legs.
Did you know? How Much Time Should You Exercise Every Day?
Improve your diet and reduce your salt intake
Food is one of the major keys to good health, better circulation, and the prevention of diseases that affect the lower limbs. As you may know, consuming too much sodium is one of the main causes of fluid retention and the accumulation of toxins in the body.
It’s very important that you reduce your salt intake. Keep in mind that salt doesn’t just come from the white crystals you keep in the kitchen. Rather, plenty of other foods you buy in stores contain excessive amounts of sodium.
- Recommendation: There are many substitutes for salt available, as well as alternative food choices and recipes to reduce its impacts. So, adopt a healthier diet to prevent becoming overweight and to avoid obesity.
Dandelionit can help fight fluid retention.
- Recommendation: Make a tea with dandelion, and drink three cups of it a day. Also, you can apply the liquid directly to the affected area using a cloth or towel.
Epsom salts are an excellent, classic treatment for swelling in the lower limbs. They help relax the limbs. This way, they reduce inflammation and stimulate good circulation to prevent diseases and other problems.
- Recommendation: Add one cup of Epsom salts to your bath water, and soak in it for at least 15 minutes. Alternatively, if the swelling only affects your ankles and feet, you can also soak them for 20 minutes in a bowl with the mixture.
Aloe veraHowever, one of its most important properties is its ability to fight inflammation and eliminate toxins.This can of course help fight fluid retention in the lower limbs.
- Recommendation: Scrape the gel from the fresh leaf of an aloe plant. Then, consume two tablespoons in the morning on an empty stomach, mixed with either water or juice. Another option is to apply the fresh gel directly to the areas that are swollen.
Read more: 6 Ways to Use Aloe Vera for Better Health
Foot and leg massages can be very relaxing. They stimulate your circulation and help to reduce fluid retention. Try using smooth, but firm, motions, always moving in the direction of your heart.
- Recommendation: Use essential oils to massage your ankles, feet and legs to get better results. For example, some essential oils that have anti-inflammatory properties include: