The Importance of Family Support During Pregnancy
Not many people understand the importance of family support during pregnancy. The thing is, the support family members give the soon-to-be mother helps keep her in a good mood, which benefits the health of the baby.
The fact that a mother feels cared for and accompanied during her pregnancy keeps her stress hormones in check and helps prevent postpartum depression.
The arrival of a new family member entails creating new bonds. As a result, the family grows and each member must be emotionally available for the new family member. Support is needed during this time.
Things pregnant women shouldn’t hear
In addition to all the feelings that come with being pregnant, women are exposed to a whole bunch of negative comments from the people around them, comments that can make the mother-to-be feel bad. Here are some things pregnant women shouldn’t hear:
- “Watch what you eat! If you don’t, you’ll have a hard time losing all the weight.”
- “Are you going to keep the baby?”
- “Will you have another baby or is this baby the last one?”
- “What about your job?”
Negative comments end up affecting the health of the pregnant woman, and therefore of the baby. We know that these comments aren’t always ill-intentioned, but you need to understand the importance of family support in pregnant women and how these simple things can affect them.
The father-to-be’s support is really important
The father-to-be’s unconditional support during pregnancy helps the mother better manage mood swings, stress, and everything else that comes with expecting a baby.
Hormonal changes that women experience during pregnancy can render them somewhat insecure, anxious, and irritable in any situation. These moments are when the couple should be closer than ever.
Yes, the woman has to carry the baby in her womb for 9 months, but the pregnancy is both parents’ responsibility. Pregnant women need their partner’s love and support. They need someone who will listen to them and someone to talk to about all the changes they’re going through during this time without judgment.
What you should do as a pregnant woman
Although all the people around you should understand the importance of family support during pregnancy, not everyone will. This means you must be prepared to ignore the angst the opinions of the people around you may cause.
Therefore, you should consider the following recommendations:
- When you have any question about your pregnancy, don’t turn to your friends or family for answers. Specialists are the only people who can tell you what to do.
- If your family members overdo it and don’t stop butting in, you should set boundaries and demand respect.
- You must understand that the only job of the people around you is to be at your side. However, if this isn’t the case, you should stay away from them.
Family support during pregnancy: How do I give it?
Oftentimes, family members and even the father-to-be are unaware of the importance of family support during pregnancy and are also unaware of the appropriate way to deal with the hormonal changes that the pregnant woman experiences.
Here are some things you can do to support her:
- Always tell her how much you love her.
- Pay attention when she seems interested in telling you her fears and emotions.
- Don’t undermine the importance of issues related to the future baby.
- Respect her personal space, especially if she wants to be alone or doesn’t feel like talking.
We recommend that you read: Pregnancy After Age 35
In short, family support during pregnancy will affect the mother-to-be’s mood, as well as the health of the future baby. The simple act of asking: “Is there anything I can do to help?” will make her feel protected.It might interest you...