40 Surprising Medicinal Benefits of Basil
Although it's mainly used for cooking and scents, basil also has some great medicinal properties. Learn about them to get the absolutely most out of this herb.
Basil is famous for its aromatic qualities, which many chefs enjoy using. Due to its powerful distinct smell, this herb is perfect for garnishing pizza, pasta, snacks, or salads. However, it’s leaves also have some great medicinal powers!
In this article are 40 surprising medicinal benefits of basil. You can use basil as a natural remedy to treat digestive, nervous, or immune problems. It also is works well as a beauty or weight loos treatment!
Basil (ocimum basilicum) is an aromatic, culinary, and medicinal herb which originates from Asian countries such as India, Pakistan, or Iran. Likewise, it’s grown in tropical climates and is very sensitive to cold temperatures. In different cultures it has different types of positive or negative symbolic meaning.
When it comes to cooking, basil is often used raw in order for to maintain its aspect and keep its aroma. It mixes well with other fine herbs such as thyme and rosemary, and can accompany all types of foods: meat, fish, vegetables, sauces, soups, cheeses, eggs, gazpacho, etc. Basil can also be used to make pesto!
It is eaten usually with food, but you can also take supplements. You can find it in pill form, compressed, or as an extract. You can even make your own infusion with fresh or dry leaves. If you want to preserve it, it should only be kept in the fridge for a few days. It’s best to save it in a tin with a pinch of salt and covered in olive oil. This way, it’ll always be ready to use.
Below all the 40 surprising medicinal benefits of basil have been highlighted and grouped together.
For the digestive system
Basil is an aromatic medicinal plant which aids digestion, as well as preventing and soothing certain illnesses:
- Alleviates heavy digestion.
- Prevents gas and flatulence.
- Prevents bad breath.
- Helps stop vomiting.
- Stimulates your appetite.
For the nervous system
Basil can also help improve imbalances related to the nervous system:
- Reinforces the nervous system.
- Its relaxing effects reduce anxiety and stress.
- Soothes the nerves in the stomach.
- Helps fight insomnia.
- Can be beneficial for treating mild depression.
- Reduces physical and mental fatigue.
For the immune system
Basil has some properties that can also really help strengthen your defenses:
- Aids the elimination of toxins and purifies the blood.
- Prevents colds and flu due to its antimicrobial properties.
- Reduces fevers.
- Has anti-fungal properties to prevent infections.
- It’s a natural anti-inflammatory.
- It can act as an analgesic for headaches, toothaches or menstrual pains.
- Fights coughs.
- Prevents intestinal parasites.
- It’s very effective for treating respiratory conditions such as pharyngitis, asthma, and bronchitis.
- Alleviates constipation.
For detoxing the body and slimming down
Basil shouldn’t be missing from any healthy detox or weight loss diet:
- It’s diuretic properties fight water retention.
- Produces a satiating effect which helps you to eat less without going hungry.
- It’s a good remedy for reducing emotional hunger.
- Helps eliminate kidney stones.
- It’s stimulant properties help fight fatigue and increase your amount of calories you burn.
- Also fights abdominal swelling.
These are some of the least known uses of basil, which are good for the skin and hair:
- Its antioxidant properties help prevent premature ageing.
- Fights hair loss and strengthens your hair follicles.
- Reduces acne.
- It is good for healing wounds.
- Whitens your teeth.
Finally, here are some other surprising health benefits of basil:
- Improves circulation and cardiovascular health: Reduces arterial hypertension and high cholesterol.
- Boosts memory and mental capacity.
- Regulates blood sugar and prevents diabetes, as well as insulin resistance.
- For women that nursing, it increases the secretion of milk.
- Prevents vertigo.
- Soothes mouth ulcers.
- It’s a natural mosquito repellent.
- Improves vision.
These 40 benefits prove that basil is a really healthy food which you should consume every day, and take advantage of these medicinal properties!