5 Home Remedies for Intestinal Worms
Intestinal worms lodge themselves in the lower part of your large intestine and mostly affect children. To avoid contagion, you have to look for a good remedy and improve your hygiene habits.
But how do they reproduce? At night, the females deposit tiny eggs around the rectum. If your child is infected, the entire household must follow a preventive treatment and take extra measures, as transmission can occur just by touching infested sheets, food, or toys.
As long as the eggs are still alive, the infection won’t disappear completely. These eggs can survive for up to two weeks outside the body, which means that the same person can become infected again because they remain in different body parts and they become infected when they take their hands to their mouths.
What are the symptoms?
Unfortunately, a lot of parasitic infections are asymptomatic. The affected person may experience itching around the rectum that typically gets worse at night.
Keep a lookout for these other symptoms:
- Loss of appetite.
- Abdominal swelling.
- Headache, nausea, and dizziness.
- Yellowish skin in the face.
- Teeth grinding, especially while sleeping.
- Constipation or diarrhea.
- Infections of the genitalia.
What can you do?
Once your doctor prescribes the correct treatments for intestinal worms, they’ll disappear in about 15 days. Even if there are no remaining parasites, however, the eggs can survive.
That’s why it’s a good idea to repeat the treatment after two weeks because the possibility of reinfection is very high. Keep the following tips in mind:
- Keep your fingernails cut short and reinforce your hand hygiene.
- Wash your clothes with hot water and clean your home with a disinfectant.
- Take a shower every day and carefully wash the area around the rectum.
- Avoid putting your hands in your mouth.
- If someone in the family is infected, it’s important to treat everyone.
Natural remedies to fight intestinal worms
In addition to the measures we mentioned above, you can try some natural remedies that will help you fight intestinal worms.
1. Garlic, pumpkin seeds, and mint
Garlic has many benefits, including the fact that it’s a known antiseptic and antibacterial agentzinc
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds (10 g)
- 3 mint leaves
- Chop and crush the garlic.
- Then, peel the pumpkin seeds and add them to the garlic.
- Add the mint leaves.
- Crush all ingredients into a paste.
Drink one tablespoon of this blend a day, for at least a week. If you think the flavor is too strong, you can dilute it with water.
You didn’t know? Broccoli and Pumpkin Recipes
2. Mint with mineral water
Mint also acts as a natural antiseptic to help cleanse your body and remove intestinal worms.
- Mint leaves (10 g)
- Mineral water (150 ml)
- Bring the mineral water to a boil and add the mint leaves.
- Simmer on low heat for five minutes to release the mint concentrate.
- Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes, until it reaches room temperature.
- Strain the mixture.
Drink one cup of this tea a day on an empty stomach. Continue taking it for two weeks.
- ½ liter of water
- 2 tablespoons of thyme leaves (20 g)
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the thyme leaves.
- Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Wait until it reaches a comfortable temperature.
- Finally, strain the liquid and drink on an empty stomach.
Don’t mix this with other beverages. Avoid consuming sugar and processed flour. Drink for one week.
4. Carrot juice with lemon
- Carrots (300 g)
- The juice from 1 lemon (5 ml)
- Wash all ingredients thoroughly.
- Juice the carrots.
- Add the lemon juice.
Drink this beverage immediately. Repeat for three days.
5. Brussels sprout juice
- Brussels sprouts (100 g)
- Carrots (100 g)
- Lettuce (100 g)
- Wash the vegetables thoroughly and juice them.
- Wait a few minutes until you get a homogeneous mixture.
Drink this juice immediately. Repeat for one week.
Remember that everyone is exposed to intestinal worms at one time or another. Thus, the important thing is to prevent infection or seek treatment quickly. These home remedies may help keep this problem at bay.