6 Foods That Will Help You Increase Your Serotonin Levels
There’s a wide variety of foods that, thanks to their nutritional quality, increase serotonin levels. This promotes emotional well-being.
Although there are many factors that intervene in the activity of this neurotransmitter, dietary habits have a positive influence on its balance.
The problem is that many people follow a diet that’s based in refined products full of fat, sugars and other harmful compounds. Although eating these foods can feel satisfying, the fact that they contain little to no nutrients means that they can even cause depression.
For this reason, consuming foods that increase serotonin production is beneficial for your health because it improves your mood.
Discover them here!
What is serotonin?
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that occurs naturally in your body. 95% of it is found in the intestines, and the remaining 5% remains in the brain.
Overall, serotonin directly interferes with your state of mind. After all, it’s one of the chemical substances that helps reduce stress and depression.
When serotonin production is high, it allows you to feel a sense of pleasure and well-being that brings other important physical and emotional benefits.
- The presence of serotonin in the body is related to the control of appetite and the regulation of sleep cycles.
- In addition, it also affects social behavior, sexual desire and memory.
Foods that increase serotonin levels
Now, we’ll take a look at the foods that contribute to achieving stable levels of serotonin. As you can imagine, this is especially useful for those who suffer from depression or stress.
In general, you can eat these foods regularly in your diet. This will provide your body with properties that will help your emotional health .
Famous for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is truly a natural “antidepressant”.
- Its essential nutrients support the processes responsible for segregating the happiness hormones: serotonin and endorphins.
- Then, this blocks the activity of the enzyme monoamine oxidase, which contributes to emotional imbalances.
Thanks to its interesting nutritional composition, tuna is one of the varieties of fish that has the most benefits for mental well-being.
- First, tuna provides large amounts of B vitamins. These are necessary to regulate the activity of the nervous system.
- In addition, it contains omega 3 fatty acids. These are recognized for their ability to remove harmful lipids and reduce inflammation.
- Plus, it’s essential minerals improve the production of serotonin. In addition, they even increase energy levels in cases of depression.
3. Brewers’ yeast
Brewer’s yeast is one of the foods that has gained popularity in recent years. It stands out for its relaxing and energetic powers. As you can imagine, these are great for overcoming mood imbalances.
- First of all, brewer’s yeast is a significant source of B vitamins. These are necessary to strengthen the functioning of your brain and nervous system.
- In addition, it stimulates the production of serotonin and endorphins, chemical substances that brings pleasure and improves your well-being.
They’re delicious, versatile and you can include them in any meal plan. Also, avocados contain important essential nutrients. These support the production of happiness hormones.
- Avocados are a source of magnesium and pyridoxine. These are necessary compounds for optimal serotonin production.
- In addition, it contains polyunsaturated fatty acids that increase energy levels as well as physical and mental performance.
5. Sunflower seeds
Sunflower seeds are low in calories and contain essential fatty acids. These properties, in addition to their filling power, means that they’re a very healthy food.
- First of all, they contain significant amounts of magnesium and zinc. These are minerals that support the balance of wellness hormones.
- Plus, their healthy fatty acids improve cardiovascular health and metabolism.
Bananas are one of the most recommended fruits when it comes to improving your mood.
- First of all, their natural sugars help increase energy levels which increases the feeling of vitality.
- Plus, their high tryptophan content makes them one of the best foods for adequate serotonin production.
- In addition, they contain B vitamins and antioxidants. Once your body absorbs them, they regulate the processes of the nervous system.
Are you feeling low? Are you going through a depressive episode? If so, try eating these foods. They’ll balance your hormone production, which will help you feel better.