How Your Genes will Affect Your Child’s Appearance

· June 15, 2017
Currently, you can predict the physical appearance your child will have based on their genetics with a significant margin of accuracy. Learn how it works in this article!

To know that you’re going to have a child is a feeling that you can’t compare to anything. Questions will jump out at you about if you have everything you need or if your baby will be born healthy.

The most moving thing is thinking about their physical appearance. You can spend hours imagining their face, eyes, hair, and even their hands and feet.

Currently, you can predict the physical appearance your child will have based on their genetics with a significant margin of accuracy. Advances in this field give you the possibility to imagine a little bit. However, there is still much to be learned.

This is possible thanks to the fact that there are two kinds of genes:

Dominant genes

These are genes that are in your DNA. As their name indicates, they overpower the rest. As a result, they are the ones that appear more often in your children based on their genes.

Recessive genes

These are weaker. However, this doesn’t mean that they are canceled out. They don’t show up in your children. Instead, they may appear in their children.

Today, we want to invite you to take a look at some data that talks about what your baby will look like.


Step 1: Their eyes

The color of their eyes will depend in the melanin that comes from some genes.

The concentration of this substance varies during childhood. This explains why many children are born with light-colored eyes but end up having brown or even almost black eyes.

Dark tones come from the dominant gene. With that in mind, here’s how it works:

  • If both parents have dark eyes, there’s a 75% chance that their child’s eyes will be the same as theirs. There’s also an 18% chance that the child’s eyes will be green. Finally, the probability that their eyes will be blue are limited to about 6%.
  • If you combine green and brown eyes, then the percentage for getting a dark color reduces to 50%. At the same time, the chances of getting green eyes raise to 37% and blue eyes raises to 12%.
  • If you have blue and brown eyes, the colors are at 50% each.
  • If you both have green eyes, there’ s a 75% chance that your child will have this color. At the same time, there’s a 25% chance they’ll be blue.
  • If you have green and blue eyes, the colors have the same probability.
  • If you only have blue eyes, it’s almost certain that your child will have blue eyes. There’s only a 1% chance that they’ll be green.

Step 2: Their hair color

The same thing happens as before. The dark gene dominates. So, if one of the parents has brown or black hair, their children usually have this color. This depends on their genetics.

However, if you have blond or redhead ancestors, your grandchildren could be blond or redheaded. This especially happens if your partner has this color of hair.

Step 3: Their mouth

Full lips are the dominant gene. At the same time, thin lips come from the recessive gene. As a result, everything points to the baby having a mouth more similar to the person who has the thickest lips.

This happens unless one of the grandparents had thin lips. In this case, the child could have thinner lips.

Step 4: Their nose

Here, the dominance is the high bridge over the width. This is the reason for the classic “hooked nose.” This is passed on to members of the same family. At the same time, other variations show more change.

Step 5: Their facial morphology

Oval shaped and long faces dominate round ones. At the same time, high cheekbones are recessive.

With this evidence, you can get a more precise idea of what your children will look like based on their genes. However, don’ t forget that that their physical characteristics will help shape their personality.

A look isn’t just the color of their eyes, much like a smile isn’t just about your teeth.

The way they act will complete their physical appearance. To teach and empower their dreams, we recommend that you read one of our articles on these subjects.

Can you imagine the face your baby is going to have?