How to Make Healthy Ice Cream
In this article, we'll show you how to make healthy ice cream for you to enjoy with your kids and avoid store-bought preparations. It's delicious!
Who doesn’t like ice cream in the summer? There are some who even enjoy it when it’s cold outside. In the following article, we’ll take a look at some different recipes to make healthy ice cream at home and with few ingredients.
Sherbet versus Ice Cream
It’s not necessary to be on a diet for you to want to enjoy fruity ice cream or sherbet.
But what’s the difference between the two?
First of all, sherbet is usually made with sugar and fruit (in our case, we’ll use real seasonal fruits). It’s good for dieters, because it’s low in fat, cholesterol, calories and sugar.
Ice cream, on the other hand, is made mostly of milk and can be consumed as a dessert or a snack. It usually has a thicker consistency and a more milky flavor.
Natural Homemade Healthy Ice Cream
You can make delicious and healthy ice cream at home and it can even become an activity to do with children. There are three types of preparation: with fruit, with fruit and milk, and with teas.
Healthy Ice Cream with Fruit
To make this healthy ice cream, it’s best to use season fruits. For example, it is recommended to make ice cream with watermelon, peach, raspberry, lemon, etc. in the summer. As an alternative, you can make a mix of several ingredients, like melon, pear and apple or cherry and orange.
In these cases, you must chop the fruit, add ice and blend in a blender to form a cold dessert in minutes. Remember that less additives will make healthier and more natural ice cream.
Ice Cream with Milk and Yugurt
The second option is the most popular due to its consistency, because it seems like store-bought ice cream.
Milk and yogurt serve as thickeners and give flavor. You can also add eggs to add protein and consistency or use any food that you wish, like banana, peach or pineapple.
Tea Ice Cream
Finally, you can prepare ice cream with tea infusions.
All you have to do is make tea as usual, allow it to cool and then mix it with crushed ice. Suggestions for more delicious ice creams are green tea, cinnamon sticks, apple, black, mint or peppermint teas.
You might like: Three Regret-Free Desserts
The Best Healthy Ice Cream Recipes
Peach ice cream recipe:
This is perfect for children and is easily made. You can make it in the summer, which is when the fruit is available and cheapest at the market.
The ingredients are:
- two cups of skim milk powder
- one cup of skim milk
- a cup of sugar (you can use 2/3 sweetener)
- one beaten egg
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract or almond
- two medium peaches or cup chopped peaches
- Mix the milk, sugar, egg and vanilla and beat well. You can use a mixer or a blender.
- Add the peaches and pour into a container and take to the freezer.
- Leave at least one hour in the freezer before serving.
Lemon ice cream recipe:
This is a classic that quenches thirst and is delicious.
The ingredients are:
- one-half cup of skim milk
- half a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (some choose the one that comes in a bottle)
- half cup of whipped cream
- a pinch of salt
- a tin of condensed skim milk
- six graham cracker crumbs
- Lemon slices (optional)
- Combine the milk with the juice, cream, salt and condensed milk with a mixer or blender.
- Place for a half an hour in the refrigerator.
- When it’s a semi-solid, mix with the cookies and put it in the freezer for one hour. You can garnish it with lemon slices and 1 cookie per serving.
Banana ice cream recipe:
This is, without a doubt, a an easy and different way to enjoy this fruit that you can find throughout the year. Plus, kids love it!
The ingredients are:
- 1 banana or a sliced medium plantain,
- three tablespoons of skim milk
- a tablespoon of chopped walnuts.
- Cut the banana and take it to the freezer for two hours.
- Then, place in a blender along with the milk. Blend well.
- Stir in the nuts and continue beating.
- Place back in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Strawberry and orange ice cream recipe:
- 200 grams of strawberries or berries,
- 100 ml of orange juice,
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- half of unflavored gelatin.
- Blend the first three ingredients and then add the gelatin.
- Pour into molds and take to the freezer.
- After an hour, put the sticks and then leave in for two more hours.