Eating Quinoa to Lose Weight: What Are the Benefits?
Quinoa is a highly nutritional food that can help you lose weight when accompanied by a healthy diet. Eating it boosts your energy and satisfies your food cravings.
Quinoa has been used for a while to help people lose weight. This vegetative ingredient is part of the “superfood” group due to its high nutritional value. It’s an important source of fiber, omega-3 and essential amino acids that help you combat excess weight.
In fact, it’s a pseudo-cereal with huge energetic value that is recommended to compliment your diet since it promotes overall wellbeing. It’s low caloric content and versatility makes it ideal for any weight loss diet. Additionally, it has a low glycemic index and makes you feel full longer.
Why has it become so popular? How do you make it?
There are still many people that are unaware of its properties. Therefore, we’ll share its main benefits and some simple ways to add it to your diet.
The Benefits of Eating Quinoa to Lose Weight
Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa), also known by some as quinua, is a little grain originally from South America that has stolen the interest from thousands of consumers around the world. It gained its fame from its similarities to other grains, but it’s a gluten-free food with a large amount of nutrients.
You might want to read: The Top 3 Cereals and Grains for Weight Loss
Nutritional Information About Quinoa
One of the reasons why quinoa is so helpful for weight loss is that it’s low in calories. Although its carbohydrates and proteins give your body fuel, it’s a very low-calorie ingredient. Additionally, every 100 grams of quinoa gives you:
- 12 grams of protein
- 8 grams of insoluble fiber
- 53 grams of carbohydrates
- 6 grams of fat
- Vitamins A, E, C, thiamine and riboflavin
- Minerals like calcium, potassium, iron, and zinc
The amount of calories in quinoa can vary according to how you cook it. If the seeds are baked, they’re around 120 calories for every 100 grams. If they are puffy and full, they’re about 364 calories for the same amount.
Reasons to Eat Quinoa to Lose Weight
After reviewing the nutritional value of quinoa, it’s time to know in detail why it’s such a recommended ingredient to help you lose weight. We’ve mentioned why it’s a great addition to your diet, since all of its properties benefit your metabolic health.
- Its high amount of protein and carbohydrates help maintain optimal energy usage, which is important to help you lose weight.
- It’s a food that’s low in calories, allowing your body to burn more calories than it’s obtaining.
- Thanks to its high amount of dietary fiber, it’s ideal to control your cravings and lower your cholesterol.
- Helps you digest enzymes and control digestive problems. In fact, it has some detoxifying effects too that help you eliminate waste.
- It optimizes using sugar has an energy source and, therefore, helps lower your blood sugar.
Also read: Three Low-Fat Detox Diets
How to Eat Quinoa to Lose Weight
Because of how great it is for diets, nowadays there are many different ways to prepare quinoa. From salads to drinks and hamburgers, it’s an ingredient that people are eating more and more regularly that want to be at a healthy weight.
Before putting them in your recipe, it’s a good idea to wash it well to eliminate the bitter taste it could have. This process is simple, and all you have to do is rinse it a few times until all of the seeds are clean.
Quinoa Milk to Lose Weight
Quinoa milk is one of the alternative ways to enjoy the benefits of this food to lose weight. It’s a drink that increases the feeling of liveliness and calms hunger. Although you can make it with just quinoa, we suggest adding a little cinnamon and vanilla to give it a little extra touch of flavor.
- 200 grams of quinoa
- 1.5 liters of water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Add the quinoa to a bowl with water and let it soak all night.
- The next morning, strain it with a colander and put the grains in a pot with two cups of water.
- Put it over a low flame to cook until they’re soft.
- Then, add them to a blender and blend it with the rest of the water.
- Process it a few times until you have a homogeneous mixture.
- Then, strain it and add the vanilla, cinnamon, and honey.
- Drink 2 or 3 cups of quinoa milk throughout the day.
Other Ways to Eat Quinoa to Lose Weight
Quinoa milk is a good option to calm your hunger when it’s snack time. However, there are also other options you can make to make it easier to incorporate quinoa into your daily diet. Don’t hesitate to try:
- Quinoa as a substitute for rice and pasta
- Salad with quinoa
- Quinoa soup
- Vegetables and quinoa
- Quinoa veggie hamburger
- Quinoa cookies
Keep in Mind!
Quinoa is a complete food that can help you lose weight because of its nutrients. However, it’s not a “miracle” product, nor will it give you results alone.
To lose weight in an effective manner, it’s necessary that you include this ingredient as a part of a balanced and low calorie diet.