Delicious and Low-Calorie Recipe for Tomato Jelly
Have you ever tried tomato jelly? It has a delightful taste and it’s not too sweet, which allows it to be combined with all sorts of dishes. Tomato jelly is versatile, delicious, and most importantly, it is one of the most beneficial jellies for health.
It has an infinite amount of vitamins, especially all those making up complex-B vitamins. It is very rich in carotenes, giving it its attractive and characteristic red tone.
But if that weren’t enough, tomato jelly barely has any calories. It is a wonderful source of antioxidants and possesses properties that are antibacterial, anti-carcinogenic, and hypoglycemic.
This information has been supported by nutritionists and there is evidence that also shows that it is incredibly helpful for preventing cardiovascular diseases.
See also: 4 Recipes Fit for Diabetics
Benefits of tomatoes
Thanks to their most important element, lycopene, tomatoes are praised to being a fabulous way of eliminating toxins and reducing cholesterol. Lycopene helps protect our arteries.
In fact, people who habitually consume tomatoes, either in salads, juices, or jellies, reduce their probability from suffering from a cardiovascular accident by 50%.
Are both calorie and fat-free
Tomatoes are made up of 94% water. They provide us with nutrients and make us feel full, without causing weight gain. They are also an inexhaustible source of:
- Vitamins A, B, and C
Improves vision and helps oral conditions
Eating tomatoes help prevent the appearance of oral discomforts, like ulcers.
Because tomatoes have a high amount of vitamin A, they are great for our eye health. This is because vitamin A is essential for vision health and specifically for our retinas.
Are an ally against cancer
Studies from the University of Harvard say that cancers associated with the digestive system and breast cancer can be avoided by eating tomatoes habitually.
Tomatoes are an ally against cancer, but they are not able to prevent these cancers.
Recipe for tomato jelly
- One kilo of tomatoes
- 400 grams of sugar
- Juice from one lemon
- One stick of cinnamon
Begin by scalding the tomatoes
To scald the tomatoes:
- Fill one pot with water and heat.
- Once the water begins to boil, place the tomatoes in the pot, and leave for a short amount of time (less than one minute).
- Once the tomatoes are scaled, remove from water and cool with cold water. It will now be much easier to peel them.
- Remember to always remove the seeds if possible.
- Remove the tomato pulp, and place in a strainer or in a bowl.
- Once you have removed the pulp, pour the sugar on top of them, along with the lemon juice, and let the mixture set for one hour. This will allow the tomatoes and flavors to mix together.
Cooking all the ingredients
Now you are ready to place the mixture into a pot to begin cooking all the ingredients.
- Place over low heat.
- Remember to place the cinnamon stick in this mixture as well, it will give it a very delicious and special flavor.
- Stir slowly, always over low heat, and little by little, remove the juice so the jelly is thinner.
- Cooking will take at least one hour.
You can try it every once in a while to make sure you like it, but most importantly, do not forget to stir it every once in a while. If not, you run the risk of burning the bottom of the mixture, which will leave a bitter taste to the jelly.
- Once you have a thin and light texture, remove from heat.
- Let the mixture sit for roughly one hour.
- Let the mixture cool so that the jelly finishes setting, and slowly you will begin to notice that as it cools, the mixture will thicken.
Now you are ready to pour it into glass jars for storage. One way of making them last longer is to vacuum seal the jars. One way of doing this, for example, is to:
- Place the glass jars of tomato jelly into a pot of boiling water.
- Once you hear the “pop” sound, the jars will be hermetically sealed and will last much longer.
One excellent way of using this tomato jelly, for example, is to spread it on a piece of whole-grain toast, along with a slice of brie. This combination is simply perfect.It might interest you...