Eight Natural Ways to Lighten Age Spots on Your Hands
You might’ve heard that your hands give away your age, but that’s no reason to throw them up in the air and surrender. After all, everyone gets older and our hands develop spots that we’d rather were not there. So, take a look at some of these natural ways to lighten age spots.
1. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is excellent at cleansing pores due to its antimicrobial properties, as confirmed by this study conducted by Middlesex Univerity (UK). Using it three times a week will lighten age spots thanks to its smoothing and brightening qualities.
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (10 ml).
- 1 cotton wool ball.
- Dip the cotton wool in the apple cider vinegar and smooth over your age spots.
- Leave it for 20 minutes, making sure you stay out of the sun.
- Wash well with warm water and apply hand moisturizer.
Milk is a natural ingredient that helps even out the tone of your skin. However, remember that home remedies take somewhat longer to work, so don’t expect to see results after just a few applications. Over time, the lactic acid of the milk will help make your age spots disappear, as confirmed in this study conducted by Walter Smith Consultants and Dermac Laboratory.
- 1/4 cup of warm milk (62 ml).
- 1 cotton wool ball.
- Apply the warm milk every night to your age spots. Let it dry before you go to bed.
- Wash your hands the next morning.
You might like to read this too: Age Spots and Freckles on Hands: Home Remedies
3. Lemon to lighten age spots
Lemons are the best way to lighten age spots due to their vitamin C content. In fact, citric acid has been tested as a whitening agent for teeth as confirmed in this study conducted by Dian Nuswantoro University (Indonesia).
- Rub the backs of your hands with lemon slices.
- It’s recommended that you stay at home without going outside for a few hours, since vitamin C, in contact with the sun, causes spots.
4. Red onion skin
While the mere thought of it might put you off due to its smell, we’re sure you’ll find this treatment to be useful. The onion is rich in vitamin C and sulfur, a combination that, in addition to lightening the hands, can even help with marks on the face caused by acne, according to this study conducted by the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal (Canada).
- 1/4 small red onion.
- The juice of 1 lemon.
- Process the onion in a food processor until it forms a paste.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Apply the onion paste and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash with cool water.
Note: Don’t use if you have any cuts or other open wounds, as it may cause irritation.
We also recommend you read: Onion Juice: How to Extract it and its Uses
5. Natural yogurt
Yogurt has an effect similar to that of milk. However, it also has other benefits for the skin and it:
- Softens your skin.
- Helps your skin regenerate.
- Promotes quicker healing.
- Helps your skin retain its natural moisture.
- 1 tablespoon of natural yogurt (20 g).
- Take the yogurt and apply it as you would any other lotion.
- Let it dry for 20 minutes, or leave it on overnight if possible.
- Remove the next morning.
6. Orange peel and milk
Do you have some leftover orange peel? If so, this is a great option to get some use out of it and lighten your age spots at the same time.
- 3 tablespoons of grated orange peel (30 g).
- 2 tablespoons of milk (20 ml).
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (20 ml).
- 1 tablespoon of glycerin (10 ml).
- Mix the four ingredients together in a blender.
- Apply the paste to the areas with age spots and leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water.
- There’s no need to use a moisturizer afterward as the glycerin will soften your hands.
7. Rose water and baking soda
Do you want to lighten age spots on your hands with a remedy that doesn’t include citric acid? If so, this treatment with rose water is for you, as confirmed in a study conducted by the University of Zaragoza (Spain). In addition to being very gentle, it’s super hydrating and a good exfoliant.
- 2 teaspoons of rose water (10 ml).
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda (30 g).
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g).
- Mix the three ingredients well.
- Apply to your age spots and leave for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water.
- Apply daily until the age spots disappear.
8. Radishes and honey
Although this remedy may not be as common as the rest, it’s extremely effective in looking after the skin. A study conducted by the Universidad de la Frontera in Temuco (Chile), claims that honey has moisturizing and healing properties. In another study, conducted by Ajou University (Korea), they found that radish has whitening properties. Finally, turmeric, the third ingredient, has anti-inflammatory properties, according to this research conducted by Drexel University (United States).
- 1 medium-sized radish.
- 2 tablespoons of honey (50 g).
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric (5 g).
- Process the three ingredients in a food processor until they form a paste.
- Apply to your age spots and massage the mixture in for 5 minutes.
- Leave for 10 minutes and then rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat twice a week.
When you use any of these home remedies, always keep an eye out for any allergic reactions. If you suspect one, stop immediately .
You might also enjoy reading: Caring For Your Hands and Feet
Age spots show up for many different reasons. In women, age spots on the hands are generally due to hormonal changes. If you’re mature and have some age spots, don’t think it’s too late to do anything about them, just try to persevere with the treatments. On the other hand, if you’re young, make sure youstart taking care of your skin now.It might interest you...