Age Spots and Freckles on Hands: Home Remedies
Spots that appear on the hands over time are a clear sign of ageing. Often times, when you see hands full of age spots, you immediately assume they belong to an old lady. Because of this, it’s a good idea to consider some tips to either conceal or diminish their appearance. Check out the following article to find out more.
Age spots: what to know
As the years go by, skin becomes discolored due to an imbalance in melanin, part of the makeup of the dermis. This is why older people often have freckles or brown spots on various parts of the body, especially on the hands, neck, shoulders, arms, and face.
Some factors can “help” worsen the process, such as high exposure to the sun over the course of a lifetime, not using skin care creams, heredity or genetics, diet (healthy versus high in fats), how much water we drink per day, alcohol, tobacco, makeup, the use of certain cleaning products, etc.
While preventative measures can be taken to avoid the appearance of these age spots, the truth is that once they have appeared we have to take action to conceal or diminish them. If this is your case, don’t hesitate to follow the following steps:
- Be careful when exposed to direct sunlight, especially in the summer, because it causes spots to appear. Also, always use sun protection. And, if you have very fair skin apply a sunscreen with a high SPF (or use children’s sunscreens). Don’t forget to apply it liberally to your hands.
- Always keep your hands moisturized to avoid spots from appearing or from getting worse.
- To stay hydrated internally, drink plenty of water. This helps to eliminate toxins and slow the body’s aging process as well, including the skin cells.
- Eat a balanced diet that’s rich in antioxidants. This will help keep your skin looking more healthy and youthful. Also, it will help eliminate spots and freckles as well as prevent new ones from appearing or growing.
- If your spots are very dark, or you’ve had them for a long time, consult a dermatologist.
Remove age spots with homemade cream
To prepare this remedy for age spots on the hands, you’ll need a whitening cream, the juice from one lemon and a sunscreen with adequate SPF.
First, apply the whitening cream to the affected area, which will help clear up the spots and diminish their unpleasant appearance. Then, apply sunscreen to the backs of your hands whenever you leave the house.
Above all, do this when you’re at the beach or the pool. You can use makeup that matches your skin tone to cover the blemishes while they disappear. Squeeze lemon juice over the spots once every week, but don’t go out in the sun that day because it could actually make the spots worse.
Other homemade remedies for age spots
- Use the gel from one stalk of an aloe vera plant (or gel extract available in stores) and apply it twice a day. To use it, you can dip your hands in it or apply it to the hands with a cotton ball.
- A mixture of equal parts milk and apple cider vinegar can be applied to any part of the body, including the hands.
- Hydrogen peroxide is a very good treatment for spots. Soak a cotton ball in hydrogen peroxide and dab it on the hands every evening before bedtime.
- Prepare a tea using dandelion (one cup of water per tablespoon of the herb). Apply it to the hands two or three times a day. If you have the plant, you can cut open a stalk and spread the liquid inside directly onto the hands every day.
- Mash 1/3 cup of chickpeas and add a little water. Let soak all day and apply it to the spots at night, letting it dry before washing. Repeat daily.
You might also like: Four Night Creams That Will Make Your Skin Look Perfect
Home remedies to help with freckles
If your problem is freckles instead of age spots, there are some natural remedies you can use to get rid of them, especially if they’re on your hands and you’re embarrassed to show them to others. To help you feel more comfortable in your own skin, follow these tips:
- Make a juice using a handful of crushed watercress or parsley and water and put it on your hands at night. Rinse them when you wake up.
- Heat a bottle of beer on the stove. When it’s close to a boil, remove it from heat. Let it cool slightly and rinse your hands with the beer. Repeat every day for at least two weeks. After this treatment, you can apply castor or olive oil to protect the skin.
- Heat a cup of sour cream or milk and add half a tablespoon of horseradish powder. Then, mix with a tablespoon and a half of powdered oatmeal. Apply to the hands using a circular massage motion.
- Mix one cup of water with a pinch of salt, a dash of lemon juice and a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol. Using a cotton ball, spread onto the hands before bedtime and rinse the next day.
Other homemade recipes to conceal freckles
- Dissolve a little sugar in some lemon juice. Use a cotton ball to dab onto each freckle (if you don’t have too many), and let sit for half an hour before rinsing.
- Mix one tablespoon of pure honey with lemon juice to form a paste, which you can apply directly to freckles, giving it half an hour to take effect. While lemon juice may dry out the skin, the honey keeps it protected and hydrated.
- Grate three strawberries and two apricots and mix until they form a paste. Apply to hands and leave on for 15 minutes before rinsing.
- Rub a slice of papaya on freckles daily. Let the juice dry or wait 20 minutes before washing. In addition to eliminating freckles, the skin will look brighter and cleaner.