Lemon and Flaxseed Water: Does it Help with Weight Loss?
Lemon and flaxseed water is a refreshing drink that’s become popular as a healthy weight loss supplement. While it isn’t an overnight fat-burning formula, it’s said that its intake within a healthy lifestyle can provide some benefits.
Below we’ll tell you more about its ingredients and, additionally, how it’s prepared to help you lose those extra pounds.
What makes lemon and flaxseed water a good weight loss option?
Losing weight is a complicated process that can vary depending on each person’s body. However, in general, we recommend to people who wish to lose weight to maintain a balanced diet, according to their needs and objectives, and at the same time, to exercise daily.
First off, starting to change lifestyle habits isn’t easy, especially if a person has always looked for simple ways out. One of these ways is by drinking beverages such as lemon and flaxseed water, which, although not miraculous, is a much better option than any industrial beverage.
You might be interested in reading: Six Amazing Benefits of Flaxseed Water
The slimming benefits of lemons
Lemon juice is a natural ingredient that often stars in weight loss plans. This is mainly because people claim on multiple occasions that its acidity can help “burn” fat.
However, this isn’t exactly the case. When you consume lemon juice, it doesn’t “travel” to the parts of the body where there’s excess fat and “burns” them. It goes to the stomach and is broken down there, as with other foods and beverages.
Consuming lemon juice could be beneficial in promoting weight loss when it replaces commercial beverages (soft drinks, teas, flavored waters, etc.) and if you adopt a healthy lifestyle. Moreover, if you consume it without sugar or any other added sweetener, all the better.
The antioxidants and vitamin C in this citrus may provide several health benefits. For example, both reduce oxidative stress and improve the health of all organs and systems in the body.
The benefits of flaxseeds for losing weight
In the last decade, more and more people have been adding flaxseeds into their diet. After finding out that they’re great for digestion and weight control, many sought them out for themselves. Despite their small size, they’re an incredible source of nutrients.
- They contain a small about of omega 3 fatty acids, which have an anti-inflammatory action and boast cardiovascular benefits
- 28% of its weight is dietetic fiber, which helps control cholesterol and improves digestion
- Because of their fiber content, they’re also great for controlling food cravings and maintaining satiety for a longer period of time
- Flaxseeds contain antioxidants that help cells perform their best and limit the damage that results from oxidative stress
- In addition, they also can provide high amounts of mucilage, which is a substance that helps regulate blood glucose levels
- Their enzymes help the body more easily decompose fats and proteins, preventing them from building up
Lemon and flaxseed water recipe
If you want to avoid consuming soft drinks or other industrial beverages while losing weight, then you can consider preparing the following lemon and flaxseed water recipe, two sources of antioxidants that’ll do you a lot of good in general terms.
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 4 c. of water
- 2 tbsp. of flaxseeds
- Pour the water into a pot and bring it to a boil
- Once boiling, add the flaxseeds and bring down the heat
- Leave to cook 3 or 4 minutes more and remove from heat
- Cover the pot and leave to cool
- When cool enough to drink, strain the water and add the lemon juice
- You can enjoy it at room temperature or you can add a few ice cubes
Take advantage of it
Lemon and flaxseed water is a beverage you can incorporate in moderation into your diet to help with daily hydration.
Remember that by itself, it won’t make you lose weight overnight, nor will it “burn fat” due to the acidity of the lemon. However, it’s a recommendable option instead of industrial beverages, which are a great source of sugar and other harmful substances.
In short, take advantage of it as a complement and focus on adopting and maintaining over time a healthy lifestyle that’ll bring you multiple benefits.It might interest you...