How to Prepare Milopita
Milopita is a typical Greek dish that resembles an apple pie. It has a fantastic sweet taste that almost everyone likes. In addition, it has certain positive effects on the body due to the presence of the fruit inside. Therefore, in this article, we’re going to teach you how to prepare it in a simple way to enjoy this dessert to the maximum!
You have to take into account that desserts can be included occasionally in the context of a healthy diet. While it’s true that it’s best to opt for a yogurt or natural fruit for your day-to-day life, there’s no problem if you skip this healthy routine at some point and include a sweeter food instead. As long as you exercise regularly, your body shouldn’t be affected.
Ingredients for milopita
To prepare exquisite milopita, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500 grams of apples
- 70 milliliters of lemon juice
- 185 grams of soft butter
- 55 grams of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 220 grams of caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 120 grams of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 60 milliliters of milk
- 2 teaspoons of powdered sugar
- 25 grams of butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
It’s important to note that, contrary to what was claimed until a few years ago, butter is much healthier than margarine. It’s true that it has a higher concentration of saturated fatty acids, but these will be of the cis type as long as the food is not subjected to an aggressive thermal process. For this reason, there’s nothing to worry about.
We think you may also enjoy reading this article: Easy and Healthy Recipe for Chicken and Vegetable Crepes
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- In the meantime, slice the apples finely. First, peel them and remove the seeds.
- Just after, squeeze the lemon juice over them to prevent them from oxidizing and getting an unappetizing color.
- Then, place about 60 grams of butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar and cinnamon to the same pan and cook until the ingredients are dissolved and you get a smooth mixture. Then, set it aside.
- At the same time, beat the egg whites until they’re sufficiently stiff. It’s important that when the bowl is turned over, the egg whites don’t fall out.
- Beat the egg yolks separately together with another 125 grams of butter and 220 grams of sugar. Here, you should also add lemon zest and vanilla. Once the foam is generated, start adding the flour, baking powder, and milk, but make sure to do this little by little.
- When the mixture has become smooth, pour the egg whites into two halves and stir with wrapping movements.
- Place all this dough in a buttered and floured round cake pan with a high rim to prevent sticking.
- Drain the apples well and place them on top of the dough while pressing lightly.
- Then, pour the butter you had set aside over the top and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Right after you remove this dish from the oven, sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the milopita while it’s still warm.
The benefits of apples
Apples are fruits that offer several health benefits. However, they must be introduced within the context of a varied and balanced diet. It’s essential to avoid nutrient deficiencies that negatively affect the functioning of the body.
They improve the density of the intestinal microbiota
One of the fibers contained in apples is pectin. This has been shown to serve as an energy substrate for the bacteria that live in the digestive tract.
This ensures their survival by increasing their density. From this point on, the body’s metabolism will function much more efficiently since its inflammatory levels will be reduced.
It should be noted that the microbiota is now considered to be an independent organ. This has many implications for health status.
The body’s intestinal microbiota is very directly related to mental, digestive, and metabolic health. In fact, many complex and chronic disorders are linked to dysbiosis situations where beneficial bacteria are altered or their colonies are reduced.
Like this article? You may also like to read: Easy and Delicious Chicken in Black Sauce Recipe that Everyone Will Love
Apples help regulate intestinal transit
The fiber in apples not only serves to improve the function of the microbiota, but is also useful for increasing the speed of intestinal transit by reducing constipation.
According to a study published in the journal Nature Reviews , a diet low in fiber is considered to be one of the risk factors for the development of bowel habit problems.
However, this dietary strategy should be combined with others that allow fiber to be truly functional. It’s a good idea to ensure adequate fluid intake throughout the day and to promote the practice of physical activity, especially strength exercises. If, despite the implementation of these changes, your constipation doesn’t improve, it’s a good idea to visit a specialist.
They reduce your risk of getting sick
Apples also have a great number of phytonutrients with antioxidant capacity. These elements neutralize the formation of free radicals and their subsequent accumulation in the body’s tissues.
This effect is crucial to prevent the development of complex diseases, as evidenced by research published in the Journal of Complementary & Integrative Medicine.
It’s essential to keep the processes of oxidation and inflammation in the human body under control, because if the organs are promoted in excess, they may not perform their function efficiently. Moreover, in this context, the incidence of mutations and cell replication problems increases.
It’s always best to combine the consumption of fruits with vegetables. Both types of food concentrate a great number of flavonoids that are capable of ensuring the maintenance of a good state of health. They also contribute to preventing inflammation, which protects against a lot of complex diseases.
Contraindications of milopita
Milopita can be introduced within the context of a varied diet. However, its consumption should be avoided if a diabetic condition has developed. In this case, the simple sugar content of this recipe could generate pancreatic stress or uncontrolled blood glucose levels, which is considered harmful in the medium term.
It’s also not suitable for pregnant women who have developed gestational diabetes. In these situations, it will be necessary to pay special attention to the diet and prioritize the consumption of fresh foods with low content of simple carbohydrates. Otherwise, the future metabolic health of the child could be affected.
Prepare apple milopita easily at home
As you have seen in this article, it’s really easy to prepare an exquisite apple milopita dessert. It won’t take you much time, and the result can satisfy anyone with a sweet tooth!
In addition, its main ingredient is one of the fruits with the highest fiber content in the world, which is essential for the proper functioning of the intestinal microbiota.
However, in order to improve your health, remember that it’s essential to combine a good diet with other healthy lifestyle habits. These include the practice of regular physical exercise and good rest. It’s necessary to sleep at least 7 hours a night for the body to recover optimally and thus establish hormonal balance.It might interest you...