Soothe Heartburn with Apples: 3 Home Remedies
Apples are one of the healthiest fruits and the one that offers the most benefits. With that in mind, is it possible to soothe heartburn with apples?
A burning sensation in the chest or throat occurs when acid returns into the esophagus. Poor diet, stress, exercise, or eating just before bedtime is all causes of this uncomfortable sensation, also known as heartburn. In this article, we’ll take a look at how to soothe heartburn with apples.
However, first, let’s take a look at a few general tips for this condition.
- If this discomfort occurs, you should make a point to chew your food slowly. It’s also a good idea to eat at least five times a day in small portions and avoid drinking liquids during meals.
- Another important recommendation is not to go to bed immediately after eating. You should wait for at least 30 minutes. However, ideally, you should go to bed for about two hours after eating.
- Preferably, avoid tight clothing or using tight belts at the waist.
- Avoid liquid foods at supper time, likes soups or juices.
Apples are considered a very effective natural antacid. Raw or in infusions, this fruit provides almost immediate relief from acidity. Along with pineapples, bananas, papayas, persimmons, and pears, it’s one of the best home remedies to calm the discomfort of acid reflux.
Apple cider vinegar combats stomach acidity. It helps to reduce it and improves digestion in general. Baking soda, herbal teas, and ginger are also ideal for reducing the annoying consequences of out-of-place stomach acids.
Due to its content of fiber and natural acids, the apple is one of the best fruits for fighting against heartburn and its symptoms.
There are several home remedies to counteract heartburn, and those that are based on fruit are ideal. An apple a day will help keep your stomach healthy. In fact, the benefits of consuming this delicious fruit are ample and varied.
Apple sorbitol is ideal for intestinal functions; it’s a natural antidiarrheal and an intestinal mobilizer. The high fiber and pectin content of this fruit provides relief from the problems derived from colitis or gastroenteritis.
Apples are also a natural diuretic and depurative, which helps remove toxic contents from the stomach and intestine. Apple tea reduces inflammation in the stomach, calms the acidity, relaxes the stomach, and purifies it. Therefore, the consumption of one liter per day will promptly relieve many annoying symptoms.
This fruit is also rich in magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus, nutrients that are highly beneficial to stomach tissues. Its anti-inflammatory properties, among other things, help in the recovery of the diverticula.
Now that you know the benefits of apples for fighting against heartburn, it’s important to know the different ways to prepare it. These three remedies to soothe heartburn with apples are simple, inexpensive, and very easy to prepare.
1. Apple tea
Apple tea can help neutralize excess acid to soothe heartburn.
- 1 apple
- The juice of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of chamomile flowers (15 g)
- Remove the skin and cut the apple into small pieces.
- Place two cups of water in a pot and add the apples, lemon juice, and chamomile. Boil for 10 minutes and let stand before straining.
2. Apple candy
- 4 cups of water
- 4 large apples
- 9 or 10 prunes
- 2 lemons
- 1 orange
- Brown sugar
- Peel the apples and cut them in half.
- Place all the ingredients to be boiled in a pot for 20 minutes.
- Sweeten to taste, without going overboard.
- Eat one portion a day to combat constipation, bloating, or abdominal pain.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains natural acids that help stop heartburn and stomach upset.
- 3 1/2 pounds ripe apples
- 1 1/4 gallons of mineral water
- 2 pounds of brown sugar
- Wash the apples in water with baking soda to achieve total disinfection.
- Remove the skin and cut it into small pieces.
- Mix with the sugar and crush until you get a smooth puree.
- In a very clean glass container place the five liters of water and the puree.
- Cover but leave holes for air to enter, preventing any insects from entering.
- Stir the mixture daily with a wooden spoon during the first 10 days.
- In the following ten days, stir the mixture every other day.
- Let it rest for 10 more days.
- Strain the mixture into a bottle without filling it. Open once a day to prevent further fermentation.
- Once your apple cider vinegar is ready, dilute a spoonful in a glass of warm water and consume.
With these three homemade apple remedies to soothe heartburn, the discomfort will be alleviated. As an additional benefit, they’re inexpensive and very easy to prepare at home without preservatives or harmful substances.