How to Fight Migraines Naturally with 5 Delicious Smoothies
Migraines cause a strong, pulsating, one-sided headache. They’re almost always accompanied by nausea and sensitivity to light and sound. They can come in light forms and barely last a few minutes. However, it can also become a chronic problem and last for several days. If you suffer from them, you know the value of finding ways to fight migraines naturally.
Unlike normal headaches, the pain is usually localized in just one side of your head. Another difference is that it can cause visual and neurological problems.
Also Read: Causes of Skin Tingling
There are various possible causes for migraines. Some experts say environmental factors, like pollution, are to blame. However, others say it may be related to stress, hormonal changes, or a bad diet.
Learning how to fight migraines naturally can significantly improve your quality of life.
Luckily, besides conventional painkillers, there are alternative treatments that can help fight migraines naturally, reducing the severity of their symptoms.
Among these, we find several fruit and vegetable smoothies. Because of the nutrients they give your body, they make it easier to control this problem.
Discover them in this article!
1. Pineapple, coconut water, and green vegetables smoothie
First of all, the ingredients that we combine in this homemade drink give your body anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving compounds. These help to fight migraines naturally.
In addition, its antioxidants and enzymes inhibit the destructive work of oxidative stress. Plus, it helps to increase the process of cellular oxygenation by stimulating your blood flow.
- 3 pineapple rounds
- 5 kale leaves
- 1 celery stalk
- ½ lemon, juiced
- A half a cucumber
- ½ teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 cup of coconut water
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender.
- Then blend them until you get a smooth drink.
How to drink it
- Drink this smoothie before the first symptoms of migraines appear.
2. Fruit and oat milk smoothie
The vitamins, minerals, and fibers this smoothie help to control inflammation. This may help reduce the severity of the headaches that are caused by migraines.
Plus, these nutrients increase energy levels in your body. They also stimulate your circulation, which may stop the symptoms from lasting longer than they otherwise would.
- 1 ripe:
- 1 tablespoon of nuts
- 1 cup of oat milk
- Chop the fruits and blend them in the blender with the nuts and the oat milk.
How to drink it
- After smoothing out all the lumps by blending, drink it as soon as possible.
- Drink all of the smoothie if you feel a headache or sensitivity to light.
3. Fight migraines naturally with this watermelon and cucumber smoothie
The watermelon and cucumber smoothie is a great remedy for migraines that start because of dehydration.
Also Read: Fight Insomnia with these 5 Tasty Smoothies
These ingredients help to balance your body’s electrolyte levels. In addition, they also reduce inflammatory imbalances associated with fluid retention and help to fight migraines naturally.
- 4 watermelon rounds
- ½ cucumber
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ½ cup of water
- 2 mint leaves
- Add all of the ingredients to your blender, except the mint leaves.
- Blend it until you get a smooth liquid.
- Serve it and garnish it with the mint.
How to drink it
- Drink this smoothie on hot days or when you feel the characteristic pain of a migraine.
4. Orange and coconut milk smoothie
Orange juice with coconut milk isn’t just good for its exotic tropical flavor. It also gives your body antioxidants and nutrients that relieve strong headaches.
Drinking it increases your energy level. At the same time, it optimizes your cellular oxygenation. It also reduces the inflammation in your tissues.
- 4 oranges, juiced
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of ground linseed
- Juice the oranges and blend them in the blender with the coconut oil and linseed.
How to drink them
- Drink the smoothie for breakfast or before the first symptoms of this problem appear.
5. Pineapple, banana, and oat smoothie
Rich in antioxidants, fiber, and digestive enzymes, this delicious drink is great for filling you with energy and keeping you in good general health.
Its ingredients stimulate your blood flow. Plus, they also control inflammatory imbalances that may contribute to this type of pain.
- 3 pineapple rounds
- 1 banana
- 3 tablespoons of oats
- 1 cup of water
- Put all of the ingredients in the blender. Then, blend them until you get a smooth drink without lumps.
Do migraines interrupt your days? Make one of the smoothies we’ve listed and see if they help improve your symptoms naturally.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Becker WJ. Acute migraine treatment in adults. Headache. 2015;55(6):778-793
- Cruz, Abel. No Mas Migrana!. Selector, 2005
- Garza I, Schwedt TJ, Robertson CE, Smith JH. Headache and other craniofacial pain. In: Daroff RB, Jankovic J, Mazziotta JC, Pomeroy SL, eds. Bradley’s Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:chap 103
- Marmura MJ, Silberstein SD, Schwedt TJ. The acute treatment of migraine in adults: the American Headache Society evidence assessment of migraine pharmacotherapies. Headache. 2015;55(1):3-20
- Silberstein SD. Headache management. In: Benzon HT, Rathmell JP, We CL, Turk DC, Argoff CE, Hurley RW, eds. Practical Management of Pain. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2014:chap 30