Grandma’s Delicious Chicken Stew Recipe
Chicken stew is a traditional recipe you can make from scratch. Its flavor is delicious for everyone’s taste buds, just like grandma’s cooking.
Traditional cooking has several delicious recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation, along with all the changes and improvements over the years. In this article, you can learn how to make one of grandma’s chicken stew recipes.
Chicken Stew in Grandma’s Sauce
- 1 whole chicken, chopped (about 2.5 kg)
- 1 laurel branch
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 drizzle of olive oil
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup of white wine (250 ml)
- 1 chicken broth tablet (1 gram)
Read this article too:
- First, it’s important that the chicken is clean and chopped. If you don’t want to use a whole chicken, you can make this recipe with just chicken thighs. The thighs are the one of the juiciest parts of the chicken.
- Once the chicken is chopped and cleaned, add a splash of olive oil to a pot and heat it up. When it’s hot, add the whole garlic cloves and the laurel. Let it cook for one or two minutes, then add the chopped chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let it all cook together until the chicken is brown on all sides.
- In order to prevent the garlic from burning while having it release all of its flavor, a good trick is adding them to the pan with the peel still on and make slightly deep cuts in them.
- Once the chicken is brown, mix the glass of wine with a little water and add it all to the pot. To prepare the stew correctly, the liquid should cover the chicken half-way.
- Then, crumble the broth tablet and sprinkle it over the mixture. Stir it a little and keep cooking over low heat with the pot covered until the sauce is reduced and thickens.
- Finally, this stewed chicken is ready without the need of using complicated ingredients. You can serve it in a bowl with roasted potatoes or white rice as a garnish.
Chicken Stew with Vegetables
As a variation of the previous recipe, the following is another way to prepare stewed chicken. This one still has a very traditional style, but it also has some added vegetables.
Check out this article too:
- 1 whole chicken (about 2 kg)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup crushed tomato (250 ml)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 green pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley (3 g)
- ½ cup of white wine (125 ml)
- 1 chicken broth tablet
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- Extra virgin olive oil (to taste)
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- First, cut the chicken and save the breasts and thighs.
- At the same time, make the chicken broth with the water and broth tablet.
- Once the broth is ready, cook the chicken in it for about an hour over low heat.
- Afterwards, salt the chicken and add it to a pan with olive oil. Sear it on all four sides without letting them cook on the inside.
- Once the chicken has some color, remove it and lower the flame. In the same oil, toss the onion, pepper and garlic, and fry them for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the crushed tomato and bay leaf, and stir all of ingredients well. Then, let it cook for about 10 more minutes.
- When the tomato has been reduced by about half, add the white wine and let the liquid reduce again.
- When this mixture is ready, add the pieces of chicken, make sure they are completely submerged in the sauce. Then, let it completely cook over medium heat for about 40 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
- Once the chicken is tender, then this second variation of the traditional stewed chicken is done! You can serve it with the vegetables, and garnish with a bit of chopped parsley sprinkled over the plate.
Learn how to make these two recipes so you can make delicious chicken dishes just like grandma’s traditional cooking.