Fight the Flu and Colds with this Orange Remedy
Oranges have so many benefits for our health, as well as having a delicious flavor and giving us a lot of vitality. In this article, we’ll explain how you can prepare an orange remedy at home for the whole family to prevent and combat cold and flu symptoms.
What stands out most about oranges is their high vitamin C content, but they’re also rich in vitamins A and B and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.
Its nutritional values make the orange a good food to strengthen our immune system and prevent some diseases.
It has antioxidant properties, like the rest of citrus fruits, and helps us to delay internal and external aging.
In addition, oranges are also very depurative fruits, ideal for cleansing our liver, kidneys, and intestines.
Finally, oranges help us to protect our body from cardiovascular diseases, and they can improve our circulation, regulate our blood pressure, and reduce the levels of triglycerides in the blood.
Natural oranges with peel
To prepare this remedy it’s essential that we choose organic oranges or those that come with the guarantee that they’ve been grown naturally, without using any chemicals. This is essential, not only because it’s always much healthier, but also because, in this case, we’ll use its peel, which has very powerful properties, but there’s always the danger of it retaining the remains of pesticides.
The peel of the orange, like the rest of citrus fruits, is as healthy or even healthier than its pulp, as it contains more nutrients with anti-inflammatory and digestive properties.
For this reason, whenever we have organic oranges, we recommend keeping the peel and then drying it naturally or freezing it, if we can’t consume it at that precise moment.
What do we need for this remedy?
To prepare this orange remedy we’ll need the following ingredients:
- 3 whole organic oranges, with their peel, well washed
- 150 grams (5.3 oz) of brown cane sugar (we can also use its equivalent in honey)
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder, if possible Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 small teaspoon of powdered ginger
- A liter of water
- Put all the ingredients into a big pot with a lid. The oranges will be cut into pieces but without peeling them.
- Let it cook for two hours over a low heat.
- Let it rest and then beat the mixture with a mixer or food processor. It should be a smooth cream.
- Let it cool and keep it in hermetically-sealed glass jars in the refrigerator.
We recommend consuming it within a month at the most. The sugar will also help to preserve it better.
How to take it?
- As prevention, we can take a tablespoonful every day on an empty stomach, directly or mixed with a little water.
- If we already have flu or cold symptoms, we recommend taking a tablespoon three times a day, ten minutes before meals.
- We can also use this remedy to improve digestion when we suffer from gas, heartburn, or constipation. In that case, take it as if it were an infusion. After eating, put a tablespoon-full in a glass of hot water and drink it slowly.
We’ve highlighted the properties of the orange, but the other ingredients in this remedy add and multiply its beneficial effects:
- Cinnamon has antibacterial and antiviral properties and also stimulates our body to have enough energy to cope with the disease.
- Turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory that reduces throat irritations and mucus.
- Ginger helps us to eliminate mucus, gives warmth to the body, and reduces fever.
- Honey is antibacterial and antiseptic and reduces throat irritations. It’s also very nutritious and provides us with a large number of vitamins and minerals to combat weakness.
We recommend consulting a doctor or naturopath before starting any treatment, even if it’s natural, especially if we’re taking medication.It might interest you...