Lemon-Turmeric Weight Loss Tonic
Lemon and turmeric are natural alternatives with various applications. They’re not a miraculous way to shed pounds overnight, but some think them good complements to a weight loss diet.
Both ingredients can improve your metabolic rate and control your feelings of hunger. Below you’ll see how to use turmeric and lemon to lose weight and improve digestion.
Their low-calorie intake and significant vitamin and mineral content are a great complement to a healthy lifestyle. They should be part of a strategy to lose weight that includes a good exercise routine.
Let’s see what the benefits of turmeric and lemon tea for weight loss are. We’ll also give you a recipe to make at home. Check it out!
Weight loss and digestive properties of turmeric and lemon
From the point of view of alternative medicine, both turmeric and lemon have antioxidant and depurative properties. They promote the elimination of retained fluids and improve the health of all organs and body systems.
Turmeric is one of the most widely used medicinal spices in traditional Indian and Chinese medicine. These cultures have valued it for its many nutritional qualities – including a good antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action.
This natural drink has the effects of lemon, a citrus fruit that enhances the antioxidant action of turmeric and is also detoxifying.
You might also like 5 Homemade Drinks that Will Detox Your Liver
The benefits of turmeric
Turmeric is a root belonging to the plant family, Zingiberaceae, of which ginger is also a part. It’s been used since antiquity as a spice to flavor food, but it’s also been used as a base in several alternative remedies.
Additionally, its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties are highly valued as they ease symptoms of muscle injuries and disorders like arthritis. Studies revealed that the properties of turmeric come from its active ingredients: curcuminoids and curcumin, in particular.
Due to its high antioxidant content, it treats the cellular damage caused by free radicals and improves metabolic function to help you lose weight more easily.
Recent studies support the positive role of curcumin in reducing body weight and reducing the diseases associated with obesity. There’s been more research in this regard due to the role of low-grade inflammation in the onset of overweight and obesity.
Some of the main nutrients in this spice are protein, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamins A, C, and E. Also, it contains minerals such as calcium, potassium, sodium, iron, magnesium, and zinc.
The benefits of lemons
Lemon is the other active ingredient in this healthy drink. It calms digestive upset and improves metabolism. Lemons contain vitamin C and pectin, a type of natural fiber that reduces cravings and improves intestinal transit.
Some animal studies revealed that lemons can help with obesity. Researchers observed that this fruit could help suppress fat accumulation, control weight gain, and prevent metabolic syndrome.
Specifically, polyphenols are responsible for this property. However, note that the tests haven’t been replicated with humans. Also, the polyphenol extracts used are more potent than those in fresh fruit.
In addition to all this, the contribution of vitamins and antioxidants of this citrus help strengthen the immune system. It also helps reduce the risk of infections and respiratory difficulties.
Making a digestive weight loss lemon-turmeric tonic
This lemon-turmeric is really easy to make, and you can use it as a weight loss supplement and to improve digestion. You can take it as a supplement to lose weight and eliminate retained liquids.
Also, try adding a pinch of cinnamon, it’ll balance blood sugar levels and prevent the accumulation of fat.
You might also like Belly Fat: 8 Reasons You Accumulate It
- 1 c. hot water (250 ml)
- ¼ tsp. turmeric (1.2 g.)
- The juice of ½ lemon
- A pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- A pinch of black pepper
- ½ tsp. honey (3 g.)
- Add the turmeric to the hot water, then stir in the lemon juice and honey
- Be sure to stir it well, as the turmeric has a tendency to stick to the bottom
- Then, add the cinnamon and the black pepper
- Let it steep for 5 minutes
How to drink
- Drink before or after breakfast
- Drink up to two cups a day for seven days; you can use this remedy to help you lose weight for a couple weeks
- Take a break for two weeks, then begin taking the remedy again
Black pepper is a complementary but necessary ingredient as it increases the absorption of turmeric.
Other ways to take turmeric and lemon for weight loss
Taking these two ingredients in an infusion is one of the easiest and most recurrent ways to do so. However, there are other ways to add them to your daily routine and benefit from their properties.
You can make a shake with lemon and turmeric and add other ingredients such as cucumber, pineapple, and celery. This way, you can use the fiber of the lemon, it has a clear satiating effect.
Also, you can use both ingredients to cook and season all kinds of recipes and drinks. Just sprinkle turmeric powder or a little lemon juice in the recipe of your choice. Don’t forget to add a pinch of black pepper.
You can also resort to turmeric supplements. These contain this active ingredient in higher doses so consult a doctor before you take them.
Recommendations and possible contraindications
This tea is a healthy and simple alternative to improve your health and lose weight. However, it isn’t recommended in some cases, such as:
- People with liver conditions should avoid excessive consumption of turmeric so as not to overload the liver
- Don’t take it if you have gallstones
- Turmeric may interfere with the action of anticoagulant drugs; consult your doctor if you’re undergoing any drug treatment
- Skip this tonic if you’re pregnant or lactating; you shouldn’t be trying to lose weight
This type of infusion isn’t a cure for overweight or obesity, but may help.
It’s mainly a complement to a proper diet, much better if you make it under the supervision of a doctor or a nutritionist.
Finally, regular physical exercise is essential to increase your caloric expenditure and enhance weight loss. It also improves your overall health and physical condition.
Use lemon and turmeric as a weight-loss supplement
The nutrients in this drink have amazing effects on the body’s major systems and will help you drop a pant size. Thus, drink it according to the above recommendations and improve your well-being.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Bengmark S. B, María D, et al. Efectos saludables de la cúrcuma y de los curcuminoides. Nutrición Hospitalaria. Enero 2009.
- Bradford P. G. Curcumin and obesity. Biofactors. Enero-Febrero 2013. 39 (1): 78-87.
- Fukuchi Y, Hiramitsu M, et al. Lemon polyphenols suppress diet-induced obesity by up-regulation od mRNA levels of the enzymes involved in beta-oxidation in mouse with adipose tissue. Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition. Noviembre 2008. 43 (3): 201-209.
- National Center for Complementary and and Integrative Health. Turmeric. U. S. Department of Health and Human Services. Mayo 2020.
- Saiz de Cos P. Cúrcuma I (Curcuma longa L.). Reduca (Biologia). Serie Botánica. 2014. 7 (2): 84-99.
- Shoba G, Joy D, et al. Influence of piperine on the pharmacokinetics of curcumin in animals and human volunteers. Planta Medica. Mayo 1998. 64 (4): 353-6.