9 Health Properties of Cucumber Juice
Do you know about the health properties of cucumber juice? How often do you drink it? Many of us add this fruit to our shakes and salads because it’s good for us and helps us stay in shape.
However, that’s not all it does. In fact, cucumber juice is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals that fight a large number of diseases that may cause you problems.
In this article, you’ll find out about all the benefits of cucumber juice. For sure you’ll want to include it in your regular diet.
1. Cucumber juice is an excellent source of vitamin A
One of the first benefits of cucumber juice is that the liquid obtained from a complete cucumber without skin and seeds contains vitamin A.
This vitamin is important for its antioxidant function:
- Improves your eye health
- Promotes bone growth
- Improves the reproduction and normal division of cells
- Maintains the health of your respiratory system
- Promotes the proper functioning of the urinary tract
- Improves gastrointestinal health
Read about Vitamin A Deficiency: Possible Risks
2. It keeps you energized
Cucumber juice stands out for its high content of group B vitamins , which makes it an ideal energy drink.
- A glass of cucumber juice gives you more nutrients and energy than any commercial alternative that claims to do the same
- In addition, cucumber is predominately made up of water so it helps you stay hydrated without the calories
If you’re currently drinking too many energy drinks, try this juice for one week instead. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the results.
Also, because it’s cheaper, your wallet will also feel the benefits!
3. It’s a source of dietary fiber
Cucumber juice has a high dietary fiber content. This type of fiber is important for improving digestion and maintaining a healthy weight.
Ideally, you should consume a high portion of fiber every day to avoid constipation, as well as complications in the colon and hemorrhoids. You’ll soon see results.
In addition, your blood sugar and cholesterol levels will be better. In fact, there’s a lot of scientific evidence (and some recent) that corroborates that eating vegetables lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease.
The mechanisms by which this happens vary and aren’t only due to the presence of fiber. There are also to antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and other compounds. Some of them:
- Prevent oxidation and inflammation
- Are antiplatelet agents
- Reduce blood pressure
- Improve the function of the endothelium (cells that line the blood vessels)
- Regulate blood glucose
4. Cucumber juice contains vitamin K
Drinking cucumber juice regularly strengthens your bones and teeth.
- A cup of cucumber juice provides 19 percent of the vitamin K a woman should consume per day and 14 percent of the daily amount required by men
- Vitamin K is vital for proper blood circulation so you might experience constant hemorrhages if there’s a deficiency
5. Cucumber juice regulates body temperature
Another benefit of cucumber juice is it has anti-inflammatory properties which also cool you down.
- Just drink a glass of cucumber juice after your workout or when you feel too hot to obtain its benefits
- To add an extra bit of flavor, you can add lemon juice, some mint leaves or two ice cubes to your drink
6. One of the health properties of cucumber juice is it restores your pH levels
Cucumber juice is an excellent source of vitamin A. This means that it regulates your stomach acid . Also, it eliminates toxins from the liver.
- Drinking a glass of cucumber juice twice a week is enough to reap its benefits
- Make sure you don’t sweeten it or add any other processed ingredients
7. It contains sodium and potassium
Drinking a glass of cucumber juice every day will help improve the volume and blood pressure of your body.
In recent years, it seems there’s been much discussion with regards to sodium as something negative for your body. Indeed, too much of it can cause kidney damage. However, your nerves and muscles need it to function properly.
In addition, the high content of potassium in cucumber helps lower blood pressure. This is because this electrolyte helps regulate the amount of sodium retained in the kidneys.
8. You’ll have fresher breath
Do you have bad breath problems? You can have it in spite of proper oral hygiene.
- In this case, you should know that one of the benefits of cucumber juice is it’ll freshen your breath immediately. This is due to the phytochemicals it contains which kill the bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Furthermore, add some mint leaves and then blend it for better results.
Find out Does Chewing Gum Prevent Bad Breath?
9. One of the health properties of cucumber juice is it can cure a hangover
The last benefit of cucumber juice is one that you’ll definitely love if you’re someone who likes to party and drink a lot of alcohol, because cucumber juice helps you get rid of a hangover.
- Thanks to its electrolytes, this drink gets rid of headaches and excessive thirst caused by alcohol
- Prepare a good amount of cucumber juice just before partying and store in the refrigerator
When you get up, drink one glass and continue drinking it throughout the day.
Recipe to benefit from the health properties of cucumber juice
The steps to follow to prepare this tasty juice are simple and you can make it on the spot. You should, in fact, to keep it from oxidizing and losing its vitamins.
To make it you’ll need two to three large cucumbers, a cup of water, and lemon juice to taste. Wash the cucumbers and peel them. Then, cut them and add them to a blender or food processor.
Mix the water with the lemon juice. Then, mash the cucumbers and add the water. Blend again to a homogeneous mixture. Add ice or keep it in the fridge if you want it cold.
Finally, you don’t have to drink this amount daily as you can benefit from its properties if you drink it twice or thrice a week. To maximize the benefits of any food, you must always consume it within the framework of a healthy diet based on your needs.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Mariod, A. A., Saeed Mirghani, M. E., Hussein, I., Mariod, A. A., Saeed Mirghani, M. E., & Hussein, I. (2017). Chapter 16 – Cucumis sativus Cucumber. In Unconventional Oilseeds and Oil Sources. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-809435-8.00016-0
- Medline Plus. Potasio. Biblioteca Nacional de Medicina de Estados Unidos.
- Grzelakowska, A., Cieślewicz, J., & Łudzińska, M. (2013). The Dynamics of Vitamin C Content in Fresh and Processed Cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). Chem Didact Ecol Metrol. https://doi.org/10.2478/cdem-2013-0022
- Tang G-Y, Meng X, et al. Effects of vegetables on cardiovascular disease and related mechanisms. Nutrients. Agosto 2017. 9 (8): 857.