When tensions rise, we can calm our nerves by putting a few drops of lavender essential oil on a cloth and breathing in this natural scent.
Doctors consider high blood pressure to be a “silent killer” because of the many negative effects it has on the body. Lack of exercise, poor nutrition, and the general lifestyle we lead today can cause this problem. If you’re experiencing high blood pressure, you can try these natural remedies to reduce it. Learn more in the following article.
Causes and symptoms of hypertension
As we mentioned above, high blood pressure can be the result of many different causes. Leading a sedentary lifestyle, consuming too much salt or processed foods, a lack of exercise, etc. can all contribute to this disease. But hormonal abnormalities, renal or cardiovascular disease, the use of certain drugs and contraceptives, and alcohol intake can also worsen the condition.
The most common symptoms of high blood pressure are headaches, shortness of breath, flushing in the face, excessive sweating, high pulse, troubled vision, dizziness, a ringing in the ears, nasal bleeding, nervousness, sleeplessness, weakness, fatigue, palpitations, and seeing spots (dark flying/swirling objects).
High blood pressure is a dangerous condition that can cause strokes, heart attacks, and kidney disorders. Because of this, we need to be sure to keep it under control and take our blood pressure once a week. Remember that there’s no minimum age for the development of high blood pressure, but it typically occurs in people over 30. Blood pressure is measured to determine how hard the heart works to pump blood (systolic) and how long it rests between each beat (diastolic).
Natural treatments for hypertension
- Put a whole lemon in a blender (including the rind and seeds) and add a handful of parsley. Blend well and drink a small cup of this in the morning, always on an empty stomach. Both of these ingredients are natural diuretics that help remove excess fluids (which can cause high blood pressure). You can also drink lemon juice mixed with a cup of cold water every day before breakfast.
- Eat a bowl of oatmeal a day with orange juice, milk, yogurt, or just water. This habit will help regulate not only blood pressure, but also cholesterol. It contains a lot of fiber, which serves to prevent constipation.
- Celery is a great food to fight against high blood pressure. You can include it in your daily diet in salads or in soups. It’s a great natural diuretic and helps reduce blood pressure.
- Dark chocolate (the darker the better) is also helpful because it contains properties that reduce blood pressure. Avoid milk or white chocolate, however.
- Drink up to three cups of green tea per day. Studies have shown that it reduces blood pressure.
- You can never have too much garlic in your diet because it helps cure many diseases. In this case, it promotes dilation of the arteries and prevents the formation of blood clots. One clove of garlic a day is sufficient. You can also make a tea by adding a crushed clove of garlic to a cup of boiling water. Add some lemon juice if desired, and sweeten it with honey.
- Hawthorn berry is a very popular plant for reducing high blood pressure, and one of the most effective. It’s used to treat a variety of cardiac disorders like heart disease, heart failure, angina, and high blood pressure. It helps strengthen the heart muscle and improves the quality of blood being pumped. It also opens up blood vessels and increases nerve signal transmission. All of this in turn reduces blood pressure. Make a hawthorn berry tea and drink it once a day.
- Make a smoothie using cucumber and water, and drink it every day.
- Put ten drops of lavender essential oil on a cloth and inhale through your nose. This home remedy is especially useful for sudden spikes in blood pressure.
- Add a handful of olive leaves to a quart of water and bring it to a boil. Strain the liquid and store in a glass container. Drink up to two cups of this per day.
- Boil two leaves of soursop and two oranges in a pint of water for ten minutes. Then remove the liquid from heat and let it cool. Strain the liquid and drink up to two cups of this tea per day.
- In a bowl, add a small onion (chopped), seven cloves of garlic (chopped), and some lemon juice. Pour water over it until all ingredients are covered and let stand overnight. In the morning, strain the liquid and drink this first thing every morning on an empty stomach for nine days.
- Mix five drops of lavender oil, 5 drops of marjoram oil, and 20 ml of jojoba oil. Slowly massage this onto the chest using a circular motion.
- Mix one tablespoon of lime juice, a bit of horsetail grass, birch and fennel root in a cup of water and bring to a boil for three minutes. Allow it to cool and strain the liquid, drinking up to two cups of this per day.
- Press fifteen peeled and seeded grapes and save the liquid. Mix it with half a glass of water and drink this before breakfast for ten days.
- Place one eggplant, sliced and unpeeled, in a blender. Add a cup of water and puree. Strain the liquid and drink this before breakfast every day for ten days.
- Make a smoothie using 2 ounces of spinach, a tablespoon of honey, some lemon juice, and a cup of water. Drink one glass of this every day for three days.