Alleviate Ulcers with Potato and Banana Smoothies
Stomach ulcers are open sores in the inner lining of the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine. Surprisingly, you can alleviate ulcers with a delicious smoothie.
Ulcers appear due to the excessive growth of bacteria H. pylori, and the irritation caused by the prolonged use of certain medications.
First, you could experience abdominal pain. Then, this may be accompanied by acid reflux, inflammation and other digestive symptoms.
Certainly, ulcers are not always a serious problem. However, it’s essential to avoid developing complications. As for example, infections and bleeding.
Fortunately, you can alleviate ulcers naturally. For instance, this potato and banana smoothie can help you control acidity. Additionally, it accelerates the healing of the affected gastric mucosa.
Do not hesitate to try it!
Potato and banana smoothie to alleviate ulcers in the stomach
Let’s combine the digestive properties of potato juice with the nutrients of the bananas. So, we can try a natural remedy against the burning and discomfort of stomach ulcers.
These ingredients neutralize the excess acidity, which comes from excessive production of gastric juices. Therefore, this smoothie accelerates the regeneration of the damaged mucous lining.
The benefits of potatoes
Potato juice is one of the best natural remedies to alleviate ulcers since they improve the balance of stomach acids.
- Its light fiber content, antioxidants, and minerals, optimize the digestive process and reduce the irritation of the gastric mucosa.
- Additionally, it contains alkaline salts that regulate inflammatory processes. And so it heals the affected lining.
- Hence it’s ideal for reducing acid reflux and burning sensations in the stomach.
You may also like:
8 incredible benefits you get with raw potato juice
Benefits of bananas
Bananas can also alleviate ulcers in the stomach since they’re rich in starches and antioxidant compounds. Hence, they help to create a balance in the stomach’s pH.
- Contributes with fiber for heavy food’s digestion. Likely, it prevents them from fermenting in the intestine.
- Neutralizes the acidity caused by an unbalanced stomach pH. It reduces the appearance of lesions and sores in the layer that protects the stomach.
- Contains vitamins and minerals that are key to restoring the health of injured tissues.
- Stops discomfort caused by acid reflux and gastritis.
How do I prepare this potato and banana smoothie?
To prepare this smoothie, get an unripe potato, free of sprouts. Likewise, get an unripe banana, as they provide more starch and flavonoids.
- 1 potato
- 1 green banana
- ½ glass of water (100 ml)
- Wash the potato, remove its skin and cut it into several pieces.
- Blend it until you get potato juice.
- Then, cut the green banana into several pieces and add them to the pitcher of the blender along with the potato juice.
- Finally, add half a glass of water to make it easier to liquify and process, until everything is properly mixed.
How to consume it
- Prepare the shake in the morning and drink it 30 minutes before breakfast.
- Repeat your consumption every day until you notice an improvement.
You may also like:
4 Banana Smoothies to Fight Fluid Retention and Lose Weight
How do I know if I have stomach ulcers?
The most frequent symptom of stomach ulcers is the pain in the abdominal area. However, the intensity can vary, depending on the severity of the injury and the production of acidic juices in the stomach.
This ailment is often accompanied by:
- Burning in the upper part of the stomach
- Heartburn or acid reflux
- A sensation of fullness or heaviness
- Inflammation and excess of gases
- Intolerance to fatty foods
- Nausea and vomiting
It’s important to visit a doctor and get an accurate and timely diagnosis. Due that these problems can also be caused by other diseases.
For instance, tests to check for ulcers may include:
- Laboratory tests for H. pylori
- X-rays of the digestive system (upper gastrointestinal series)
- An upper digestive tract endoscopy (EGD)
- A hemoglobin test in the blood to check for anemia
It’s important to notice that ulcers can develop important complications if not treated on time.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Súarez, J. L., Reyes, G. C., & Herreros, L. del M. (2011). Helicobacter pylori: revisión de los aspectos fisiológicos y patológicos. MÉD UIS.
- MedlinePlus. Úlcera estomacal. https://medlineplus.gov/spanish/ency/anatomyvideos/000133.htm
- Research Gate. (2018). Spray-Dried Potato Juice as a Potential Functional Food Component with Gastrointestinal Protective Effects. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323382918_SprayDried_Potato_Juice_as_a_Potential_Functional_Food_Component_with_Gastrointestinal_Protective_Effects
- Research Gate. (2016). Health Beneficial Properties of Potato and Compounds of Interest. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/304002913_Health_Beneficial_Properties_of_Potato_and_Compounds_of_Interest
- Research Gate. (2016). Antiulcer activity of Musa paradisiaca (banana) tepal and skin extracts in ulcer induced albino mice. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/309272942_Antiulcer_activity_of_Musa_paradisiaca_banana_tepal_and_skin_extracts_in_ulcer_induced_albino_mice