The 5 Best Home Remedies for Countering Stomach Acid
The key symptom of acid is an uncomfortable burning sensation in the lower area of the chest. However, it’s often confused with heart attack symptoms.
In addition, patients suffering acid often experience burping, abdominal inflammation and other common indigestion symptoms.
While it isn’t a serious nor an ongoing problem, it’s always better to treat acid in order to neutralize pH levels and avoid complications.
Fortunately, in addition to conventional antacids, plenty of natural remedies are available that help us feel better faster.
In this article, we’d like to share the 5 best natural remedies so you know what to do if you encounter this problem.
Keep on reading!
1. Papaya and flax seed smoothie
This delicious papaya smoothie is rich in digestive enzymes and noninflammatory compounds. This makes it an excellent alternative for controlling excess acid in the stomach.
The smoothie’s fiber content supports digestion while hindering acidic juices from moving into the esophagus by neutralizing the stomach’s pH level.
- 3 slices of papaya
- 1 tablespoon of flax seeds (10 g)
- A cup of water (200 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of organic honey (25 g)
- First, cube the papaya and blend it together with the flax seeds, water and honey.
- Once the mix is homogeneous, serve immediately.
- Drink the smoothe after heavy meals.
- As a preventive measure, drink before meals.
Also see: 6 Amazing Benefits of Flax Seed Water
2. Mint tea
In addition to mint’s digestive properties, we can also use it to reduce heartburn.
Mint helps with eliminating waste as well as controlling excessive acid production.
- 1 tablespoon of mint leaves (10 g)
- A cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g) (optional)
- Put the mint leaves in a cup of boiling water and leave it for 20 minutes.
- When the water has cooled, use a colander to strain the leaves. If you’d like, sweeten the tea with a tablespoon of honey.
- Drink the tea 30 minutes before eating.
3. Aloe vera, cucumber and apple smoothie
The combination of this homemade smoothie’s ingredients is perfect for neutralizing excessive acid production in the stomach. Also, it helps soothe the resulting irritation.
The laxative properties of this recipe help eliminate leftover waste in the colon in addition to being great for promoting bacterial flora.
- ½ cucumber
- 2 green apples
- 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel (45 g)
- 1 cup of water (200 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- Dice the cucumber and apples.
- Then, proceed to blend them with the aloe vera gel and water.
- Make sure to blend thoroughly. Before drinking, sweeten the mixture with honey.
- Drink the smoothie after heavy meals.
We recommend that you read: The Pineapple Remedy that Can Help Repopulate Intestinal Flora
4. Baking soda and lemon
The alkaline power of baking soda mixed with lemon helps to neutralize acids in the digestive system. As a result, this combination soothes irritation and burning sensations.
Furthermore, both ingredients help with digesting heavy meals and decreasing excess gas.
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda (5 g)
- The juice of ½ lemon
- 1 cup of water (200 ml)
- Mix the baking soda and lemon juice in a glass of water.
- Then, stir well and wait for the blend to fizz out.
- Drink the mixture when you first notice stomach acid symptoms.
5. Potato water
The starch found in potatoes– which also has fibers and antioxidants- is perfect for controlling acid symptoms.
Its light alkaline effect regulates the stomach’s pH level. In addition, it prevents gastric juices from passing towards the upper part of the body by keeping the sphincter in check.
- 1 potato
- ½ cup of water (125 ml)
- Grate the potato and strain the pulp to extract its natural liquid.
- Make sure that the potato doesn’t have black or green spots, as they’re signs of toxic substances.
- After, combine 2 or 3 tablespoons of the potato juice with the half cup of water.
- Sip the mixture when you feel acid and heartburn.
Do you often feel the effects of stomach acid? Treat it naturally with one of the remedies on our list and try out their benefits for yourself.
On a final note, make sure to analyze your diet. What’s causing your acid might be problematic food combinations or excessive consumption of irritating foods.