This Pineapple Skin Home Remedy Can Help Repopulate Your Intestinal Flora
Save that pineapple skin! To get the maximum benefit for your intestinal flora, it's advisable to drink this remedy first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You can repeat this before lunch and dinner.
We all tend to throw away pineapple skin. However, it’s a marvelous ingredient for making a fermented drink that helps to repopulate your intestinal flora.
In this article, we will share the recipe for this surprising and delicious drink, as well as its multiple health properties.
What is intestinal flora?
Intestinal flora is a complex of multiple species of microorganisms that live in the digestive tract, especially in the colon.
A few hours after our birth, these microbes, consisting mainly of bacteria, start to reach our body through the foods we ingest.
The intestinal flora multiplies despite being damaged by dietary changes and antibiotics. By age two, we have our definitive bacterial flora.
First of all, the function of intestinal flora is related to the fermentation and digestion of indigestible foods like vegetable fiber.
In addition, it also influences the production of some nutrients, the absorption of some minerals and the balance of the immune system.
For this reason, it’s essential to care for it. After all, disturbing it can cause us many health problems.
How is my intestinal flora?
Many people wonder how they can find out whether they have healthy or reduced intestinal flora.
Some of the indicators that demonstrate a deficient state include:
- Tendency to suffer from infections.
- Digestive problems like bloating, gases and flatulence.
- Poor digestion of certain foods, especially starches and sugars.
- Constipation and diarrhea.
- Intestinal parasites.
- Food allergies.
- Thyroid disorders.
Probiotics are the solution for damaged intestinal flora. They’re natural, live organisms that gradually regenerate the flora when consumed.
In general, we can get them from some fermented foods like sauerkraut and kefir or yogurt. In addition, we can get them through supplements that should be taken on an empty stomach to be effective.
This pineapple drink also helps regenerate the flora.
Fermented pineapple drink
This delicious homemade, medicinal drink is made by fermenting pineapple skin. This skin usually contains several microorganisms (as long as the fruit hasn’t been treated with fungicides).
For this reason, you should choose organic or naturally-grown pineapples.
As well as getting all the benefits of a fermented food, the specific qualities of pineapple also make this drink excellent for:
- Improving digestion
- Fighting liquid retention and bloating
- Improving circulation
- Fighting pain and inflammation.
- The skin of two medium pineapples or one large one
- 2 1/2 cups of brown sugar (500 g)
- 3 liters of water
- First, wash the pineapple skin thoroughly with the help of a brush and a little vinegar.
- Peel it, leaving a bit of flesh on the skin, and cut it into small chunks.
- Put it in a large glass flask and add two liters of water and the brown sugar.
- Leave the flask at room temperature between 20 and 30 degrees Celsius for two days. If it’s colder than this, the process may take a little longer to complete.
- After this time, strain the drink, add the last liter of water and leave it to ferment for another 12 hours.
- To stop the fermentation, put the drink in the fridge.
- Given that the microbes consume the sugar during the fermentation process, if you like, you can sweeten the drink with a little honey or stevia.
We recommend you read: 4 Natural Honey Treatments for Wrinkles
How to drink it
This drink is refreshing and revitalizing at any time of day.
However, if what we want is to benefit from its properties for repopulating the intestinal flora, we should drink it on an empty stomach, at least half an hour before eating.
As a treatment, you can also drink one small glass (100 ml) on an empty stomach, one small glass half an hour before lunch and one small glass before dinner.
Overall, you can do this medicinal treatment periodically when you feel the need or after taking antibiotics.
This way, you’ll avoid the drop in your defenses that you usually experience after taking this kind of medicine.
For a complete treatment, you also need to follow a balanced diet.
Main image courtesy of © wikiHow.com