4 Ways You Can Use Olive Oil to Relieve Constipation
As mentioned above, popular belief claims that you can use olive oil as a homemade natural remedy to relieve constipation. There are 4 ways you can use it and below, we tell you all about it, and give you some interesting facts.
Constipation is one of the most common annoyances that exist. A good diet rich in fiber in addition to drinking enough water and maintaining an active lifestyle can help you prevent it just as much as it can help you to treat it. However, Dr. Greenberger indicates that when it has an underlying cause, medical treatment will be the best course of action.
When we talk about constipation, we’re referring to a decrease in intestinal transit and the hardening of the stool. In turn, this affects its expulsion. Because of the associated symptoms like abdominal pain and bloating, constipation can interfere with your daily activities.
Intestinal illnesses: possible causes of constipation
There are many reasons why a person may suffer from constipation. In some of those cases, the cause may be a specific illness.
Intestinal illnesses are usually related to some kind of obstructive process that affects the natural movement of feces. Among these, we find intestinal obstructions, a narrow colon, and colorectal cancer.
These issues are quite serious. After all, they can lead to multiple complications. Pay attention to any alarming symptoms! You must take care of yourself and regularly have checkups with a doctor who’s a specialist in this area.
Poor diet: the most common cause
Having an unbalanced diet that lacks fiber, is full of animal fats, butter, and margarine as well as ultra-processed foods, candies, and general junk food, all topped off with inadequate water consumption, causes your stool to be denser. As a result, it becomes difficult to expel it.
The experts at the Spanish Foundation of Digestive System (Fundación Española del Aparato Digestivo) put high importance on the following:
- Reduce your intake of animal fats, butter, and margarine; also, products like industrial pastries (they contain acidic trans fats).
- The healthiest fat is raw olive oil; if it’s extra virgin, it also has antioxidants. and if it has an acid level lower than 0.5, it avoids you suffering from acid reflux.
- Consume meat and fish, preferably grilled or boiled with some drops of lemon juice. Twice a week, eat bluefish that’s grilled or fried in olive oil (this is less fatty than other oils).
- Increase your liquid intake: water, drinks with little-to-no calories, and juices with no sugar.
- Drink – don’t guzzle – liquids. This causes aerophagia.
- Chew your food properly, eat slowly, enjoy your food, and take your time (20-25 minutes).
Don’t forget to read: Treat Constipation with this Natural Flax Remedy
Olive Oil to Relieve Constipation
Olive oil is a substance that can be really beneficial to our health, as it’s rich in omega 3 acids, vitamin E, K, and antioxidants. It’s the star ingredient of the Mediterranean diet, and according to popular belief, is a great remedy to relieve constipation – always as an addition to a healthy lifestyle, of course.
When you consume it, many people believe that it increases the body’s bile production, making it easier for your body to digest goods that are high in fats. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that can also provide relief.
Generally, it’s said that consuming olive oil helps to soften the feces and helps you maintain your colon in a good condition.
1. Olive oil and lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the ingredients together and drink a table spoon of it.
2. Olive oil and yogurt
Yogurt helps maintain good intestinal transit. For that reason, we recommend you enjoy it with olive oil as a homemade remedy to relieve consitpation.
- 1 cup of yogurt (1/2 pint)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a cup of yogurt and mix well.
- Consume in moderation.
3. Olive oil and banana
Is there anyone who doesn’t know that bananas are a rich source of potassium? This combination will give your intestines enough potassium to perform their vital functions. In fact, potassium helps the natural and slow movement of the intestine. As a result, this prevents the accumulation of gas and swelling.
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- First, peel and cut the banana into slices, and mix it with the olive oil.
- When it becomes a smooth paste, consume it.
Discover more: Three Healthy and Delicious Recipes with Coffee
4. Olive oil and coffee
Yes, you read that right. Caffeine is a powerful stimulant of the muscles in the colon. Consequently, it increases the rate of intestinal flow. At the same time, it softens the stool.
- 1 cup of hot coffee (1/2 pint)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Combine both ingredients. Then, drink in the mornings.
- By doing this as a daily routine, you’ll help lubricate the colon. As a result, you may have fewer digestive problems.
Is its effect immediate?
No natural remedy has an immediate effect, not can it relieve constipation alone. For that reason, we recommend using these treatments as a complement to medially prescribed treatment, and in addition to a healthy lifestyle.
Additionally, it’s always a good idea to consult a doctor before using any kind of natural remedy to avoid counterproductive reactions or worsening the constipation.It might interest you...