How to Treat a Yeast Infection with Home Remedies
Many women will have a vaginal yeast infection at some point in their lives. This is also known as vaginitis. The main symptoms of vaginitis are burning and pain, as well as the production of a foul-smelling discharge.
In the majority of cases, this is caused by fungi that proliferate in the warm and moist environment of female genitalia. However, there are many different natural treatments that can alleviate the effects of a vaginal yeast infection.
Probiotic foods are more beneficial than antibiotics for the treatment of vaginal fungal infections. These foods contain microorganisms that are already active in your intestines, and they can alter your intestinal flora with very beneficial effects.
If you get in the habit of taking probiotic supplements or eating foods that have probiotics, it can fight to restore the natural flora of your stomach that help manage yeast infections, like candida.
There are many foods that contain probiotics. For example, yogurt, pickles, and cheddar cheese are all great sources of probiotics.
See also: Vaginal Discharge and Your Health
Consuming several cloves of fresh garlic a day is an excellent remedy against fungus in the vagina. It might give you bad breath, but it’s a very effective treatment for the effects of candida.
The reason for this is because garlic contains antifungal properties that help prevent this type of infection.
Garlic is also an antibacterial agent and a well-known natural antibiotic. When eaten, it also promotes good bacteria growth.
Organic oregano oil is another good treatment for a yeast infection. However, to get the maximum benefits, it’s important that you choose an organic herb. It is rich in flavonoids, phenols, and many vitamins that help fight yeast infections.
What should you do?
- Although you can find different preparations in stores, capsules are probably the most comfortable way to consume oregano oil.
- Take two to three servings a day, after your meals.
- You can also apply it topically to the affected area. Most importantly, it’s best to check with your doctor before doing this option.
Organic tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is a very effective and natural antifungal agent.
What should you do?
- Put a few drops of tea tree oil on a tampon and insert it into the vagina for four hours.
- Repeat this process in the morning and afternoon, for two to three days.
- Remember not to leave the tampon in overnight.
These small red fruits have amazing healing powers. Cranberries not only serve to treat bladder infections, but they can also help treat vaginal fungus.
In addition to being a good reproductive tonic for women, natural cranberry juice can help restore a healthy pH balance in the vagina. This will help you fight any problems with fungus.
Organic yogurt is another great way to restore your natural vaginal flora and pH balance.
What should you do?
- You can use it topically. Just put a little plain yogurt into the vagina and let it act for several hours before washing and rinsing.
- You can also dip a tampon in the yogurt and insert it for two hours.
- As we mentioned above, yogurt also has many natural probiotics. You can reap its benefits by eating some natural yogurt every day.
Wear loose-fitting clothing
Although this might seem like a basic step, wearing loose clothing is one of the best remedies for vaginal yeast infections.
Among other reasons, this works because fungi develop better in warm and humid environments. Wearing loose clothing and intimate garments will allow oxygen to reach the region, slowing fungal growth.
We recommend you read: Skin Fungi: How to Get Rid of Them With Homemade Remedies
Avoid irritating feminine products
Certain soaps and other cosmetic products can irritate the very delicate areas of the female body.
Many feminine products are made with alcohol and other toxic active ingredients that alter the vaginal pH and make it more vulnerable to infections.
The effect of stress
Some people have a naturally high amount of this bacteria in their bodies, although a healthy body is an obstacle to the development of fungi.
If there is an infection, the whole body can become unbalanced. A stressful lifestyle can lead to excess bacteria because of a weakened immune system.
It’s important to devote the time you need to rest and recover, especially after going through any stressful events in your life.
Meditation, yoga, frequent exercise, and massage are all good control measures against stress and essentially against increasing your chance of getting a yeast infection.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Rosenfeld, J. A. (2009). Vaginitis. In Handbook of Women’s Health, Second Edition. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511642111.013
- Rosedale, N. (1964). VAGINITIS. The Lancet. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(64)90893-1
- Nyirjesy, P. (2014). Management of persistent vaginitis. Obstetrics and Gynecology. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000000551