Skin Fungi: How to Get Rid of Them With Homemade Remedies
For best results, you absolutely must be consistent in applying these remedies while also avoiding too much moisture, because that's how skin fungi start to grow.
Skin fungi are caused by infections of various kinds, like dermatophytes and yeast. These microorganisms develop over dead keratin, a very delicate protein that is present on our skin, hair, and nails.
All cases show up differently, but they generally include symptoms like itching, discoloration, peeling, and sometimes bad odor.
Skin fungi are generally more common in individuals with a weak immune system, or anyone consistently exposed to moist, poorly ventilated environments.
Luckily, there are some homemade solutions that can help fight skin fungi, prevent complications keeping them from spreading to other areas of the body.
Today, we’re going to show you some recipes that you can try before turning to costly treatments.
Oregano oil for skin fungi
Essential oregano oil has anti-fungal properties that reduce the presence of skin fungi and other types of microorganisms.
We suggest combining it with a bit of olive oil to strengthen the calming effects and help it moisturize your skin.
- 1 Tbsp. oregano oil (15 grams)
- 1 tsp. olive oil (14 grams)
- Combine the two oils in a bowl and apply the necessary amount for treating the fungus.
- Apply twice a day, every day.
Lemon with baking soda
Making a paste out of lemon and baking soda creates a great anti-fungal mixture that prevents yeast and other types of fungi from growing.
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. baking soda (10 grams)
- Squeeze the lemon and mix it with one tablespoon of baking soda into a smooth paste.
- Once ready, apply to the affected area and allow to set for 5 minutes.
- Rinse. Repeat the application until the fungus is cured.
- After each application, finish by using a moisturizing cream to prevent the area from drying out.
- Use only at night to avoid negative effects in case of overexposure to sunlight.
Apple cider vinegar
The malic acid and acetic acid in apple cider vinegar helps regulate the skin’s natural pH to change the environment that yeast needs to grow.
Mixing a few drops of tea tree essential oil helps create a more complete treatment against these types of infections.
- 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar (125 mL)
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- 2 liters of water
- Heat water to a tolerable temperature, then add the apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil.
- Use the water as a bath and soak for 10 minutes. Repeat at least three times a week for best results.
The live cultures in plain yogurt have a fungicidal effect that reduces the presence of all types of bacteria.
- 1/2 c. plain yogurt (125 grams)
- Juice from 1/4 lemon
- Mix the plain yogurt with the lemon juice and rub over the affected areas.
- Allow to set for 30 minutes, then rinse.
Garlic is one of the best natural anti-fungals that you can use. Its sulfuric compounds stop infections and prevent fungi from spreading to other areas of the body.
You might be interested in: 5 Ways Your Skin Tells You Something Is Wrong
Eating garlic strengthens your immune system and helps eliminate toxins that make your body sick.
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (14 grams)
- Crush the garlic cloves with a mortar and pestle and mix into a paste with the olive oil.
- Apply to the fungus and allow to set for 5 minutes.
- Rinse and repeat every day.
The gel contained in aloe leaves is excellent for naturally calming irritation and redness caused by fungus.
- 1 Tbsp. aloe vera gel (15 grams)
- 1 tsp. coconut oil (15 grams)
- Mix the aloe vera gel with the coconut oil into a thick paste.
- Spread over the infected skin and let set overnight.
- Apply every day.
A small touch of sea salt with water can help reduce irritation, itching and other discomforts associated with a fungal infection.
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt (10 grams)
- 1/2 glass water (100 mL)
- Dissolve the sea salt into a glass of water and apply the liquid three times a day.
- Repeat this procedure several times a week until the fungal infection is cured.
Choose whichever of these remedies you like best and use them continually until the fungus is gone.
If you have any kind of adverse reaction, rinse immediately and choose another alternative.