Seven Natural Products to Reduce Foul Underarm Odor
You can use aloe vera to eliminate bad underarm odors thanks to its antibacterial properties, which help neutralize odors. Do you want to learn about other options? We'll tell you about them below.
Although it’s more of a cosmetic problem than a health concern, bad underarm odor is a real nuisance for people with it. The human body contains more than two million sweat glands, which are there to regulate your temperature through sweat.
But sweat is also food for bacteria, so when you sweat a lot they can grow out of control and cause unpleasant odors. For decades, there have been commercial deodorant and antiperspirant products that help you control underarm sweat and odors all day long.
But some people prefer natural products. The good news is that there are plenty of simple, cost-effective natural products to treat underarm odor. Today we want to share seven of our favorite ways to get rid of this annoying problem. So, give them a try!
Natural products to deal with foul underarm odor
Information published by the National Health Service points out that bad body odor can be caused by hormonal changes, physical exercise, living in hot climates, or suffering from certain diseases such as diabetes. Fortunately, today there are many effective options to address it.
Of course, it’s necessary to practice good hygiene, shave regularly and wear breathable clothing that doesn’t accumulate sweat. You can also try commercial antiperspirants and deodorants, which are often very effective.
As for natural products, you should know that most of them come from popular literature and there’s no evidence of their efficacy. However, most of them are safe to use, inexpensive and can give good results. So, do you want to try them out?
1. Lemon juice and baking soda
When you combine lemon juice and baking soda, you get a great natural mixture for reducing excess sweat and the bacteria that cause odors. A publication in the Journal of Food Science highlights the antimicrobial effects of baking soda, but more evidence is needed.
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/2 a lime
- Sprinkle the baking soda onto half of the lime and gently massage it onto your underarm area
- Let it dry completely and wipe off any residue
- Do this every morning
Learn how to Eliminate Blemishes with Natural Ingredients
2. Pine water to treat underarm odor
Pine needles have antibacterial properties and act as a natural antiperspirant, but there are no studies to back it up. However, you can use it to help against sweating and bad underarm odor.
- 1 handful of pine needles
- 1 qt. of water
- Firstly, put the pine needles and water in a pot and let them simmer for 20 minutes
- Then, strain off the liquid and add it to a bath
- Finally, repeat as many times as you need to avoid excessive sweating
3. Aloe vera
The gel from the aloe plant has antibacterial properties, as highlighted by a publication in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters. Therefore, it could help control the bad odor caused by bacteria in your underarm.
- 2 tbsp. of aloe vera gel
- Firstly, rub the aloe gel into the underarm area and allow it to dry
- Wipe off any excess with a cloth, because it will stain clothing
4. Apple cider vinegar to deal with foul underarm odor
This simple, natural deodorant with apple cider vinegar fights bacteria and excessive sweating. A study published in Scientific Reports acknowledges that this ingredient has the ability to fight several types of bacteria.
However, there’s no evidence to show that it particularly combats underarm odor. Furthermore, it should be avoided on sensitive skin, as it can be irritating.
- 4 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. of rubbing alcohol
- 1/4 c. of water
- 1 cotton ball
- Firstly, mix the apple cider vinegar and rubbing alcohol and apply it to the underarm area with a cotton ball
- Then, let dry and repeat two times a day
5. Thyme and rosemary
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 1 bunch of rosemary
- 2 qt. of water
- Firstly, bring the water to a boil and add the herbs
- Then, simmer over low heat for 10 minutes
- Once it has cooled to room temperature, add the liquid to a bath
- You can also use a cloth to apply it directly to the underarms
6. Potato slices
Potato slices are used to refresh the skin. In addition, it’s been used as an ally to combat abnormal body odor.
- 2 potato slices
- Firstly, place a slice of potato under each arm and hold it there for 20 minutes
- Then, repeat this treatment two to three times a day
Read about the Health Benefits of Potatoes
7. Vegetable starch
Starch is a highly absorbent product that can help you manage excessive sweating and control underarm odors. You can mix it with baking soda for better results.
- 1 tbsp. of vegetable starch
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- Firstly, mix the two ingredients in a small bowl to make a dry deodorant
- Wash your underarms and dry them well before applying the powder
- If the powder bothers you, you can use it at night and it’ll continue to work the following day
In summary, there are several alternatives to prevent underarm odor. However, you must practice good hygiene and wear clothes that prevent the accumulation of sweat. Also, you must keep in mind that these natural remedies aren’t as powerful as commercial products. However, they can be a good option.