Sugar Free Whole Grain Vegan French Toast
French toast is one of the typical sweet dishes in several different national gastronomies. Usually, people eat it at Easter in Spain and brunch in the States, but let’s be honest: it’s so delicious that it makes you want to eat it all year round! In this article, we’ll share a step-by-step recipe for sugar-free whole grain vegan French toast.
Whole grain vegan French toast
It’s vegan French toast because it doesn’t contain eggs or any other animal products. However, everyone can eat it! In fact, we encourage you to do so. With no added sugar or eggs, it’s a much healthier option than traditional French toast.
This French toast is just as rich and smooth as the original recipe. However, its fat content is much lower and it’s perfect, not only for people who follow a vegan diet but for those who suffer from food intolerance or simply want to take care of their health.
The main ingredient in this recipe is whole wheat bread – that is, bread made from whole wheat flour. This is a source of fiber and complex carbohydrates, in addition to providing B vitamins, minerals such as phosphorus and iron, and having a very low-fat content.
In this recipe, we replaced the traditional cow’s milk with almond milk and sugar with stevia. Of course, if you want, you don’t have to sweeten the French toast (after all, the almond milk already makes it sweet) and then, spread a little honey on it.
At the nutritional level, almond milk provides between 25 and 50 calories per 100 grams and is rich in monounsaturated fats (“good” fats), in addition to vitamins B6 and E, among others.
Discover: How to Make Almond Milk to Lose Weight
How to make vegan French toast
Would you like to change your traditional French toast recipe for this vegan one? You won’t regret it: it’s extremely healthy and delicious. Don’t hesitate to make it and enjoy it with your friends or family!
- 6 slices of whole wheat bread
- 300 ml of almond milk
- 1 teaspoon flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 pinch of ground turmeric (optional)
- 100 ml of water
- 100 ml of orange juice
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Stevia (optional, as much as you need)
- Honey (optional)
- First, cut thick slices of bread, one and a half to two centimeters thick. Set to the side.
- Then, in a bowl, mix the almond milk with the cinnamon, vanilla, flax seeds, and turmeric. Beat with a whisk to achieve a homogeneous mixture. Let stand about 10 minutes.
- Next, soak the bread slices in the mixture prepared in step 2 for about 15 minutes. You should soak the bread well but without letting it disintegrate. Turn each slice over every few minutes so that it absorbs liquid on both sides. If you see it start to fall apart, remove the bread from the liquid.
- While the bread is soaking in the almond milk, cook the orange juice with the lemon juice, lemon peel, cinnamon, and vanilla in a small saucepan. If you want to sweeten your vegan french toast, now is the time. Add the stevia to taste or a tablespoon of honey and mix.
- After, cook the syrup without boiling it. The idea is to reduce it.
- Then, heat the syrup with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and cook the French toast over medium heat, turning carefully.
- Serve with a little of the syrup on top.
What did you think of this easy recipe for vegan French toast with whole wheat bread and without sugar? It’s very healthy and your whole family will love it! And the best part? Since it doesn’t have saturated fats or sugars, you can make it more often than traditional recipes!It might interest you...