How to Make Homemade Rye and Spelt Bread
Wheat bread is a staple food in many homes. However, many have begun to avoid it since the high content of refined flours, starches, and sodium does not exactly make it the healthiest option. Do you want to try an alternative? Discover how to make homemade rye and spelt bread!
The Benefits of Homemade Rye and Spelt Bread
Recipes to replace traditional wheat bread are increasingly popular. Therefore, it’s now easy to find a variety of alternatives that will allow you to enjoy bread with no regrets. Overall, homemade rye and spelt bread is one of those options you can prepare yourself at home.
You can purchase the ingredients easily at the supermarket and the steps to prepare it are quite simple. Best of all, it can be included in most diets, as it is easy to digest and is packed with nutrients that are good for both your health and your weight.
You might like: What is the Healthiest Non-fattening Bread?
The benefits of rye
Rye stands out for its iron content in addition to other essential minerals and amino acids.
Rye is one of the foods that has gained fame as an alternative to refined grains. From a nutritional point of view, it stands out thanks to high levels of iron, which cover up to 18% of your daily requirement.
Rye also contains phosphorus, magnesium, B vitamins and dietary fiber in higher quantities than other similar foods. Also, it provides energy through unrefined carbohydrates which, unlike refined carbs, do not cause blood sugar spikes.
Among other things, rye contains lysine, an amino acid that is not present in other cereals. It also contains very little fat (only 1.7%) and provides antioxidants that help fight free radicals.
Rye is also beneficial because it helps to:
- protect against cardiovascular diseases.
- improve digestion.
- fight high cholesterol.
- reduce the risk of diabetes.
- assist with weight loss.
The benefits of spelt
These grains have a high content of complex carbohydrates, which produces a slow and progressive assimilation of sugars.
Spelt stands out for its high content of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. It’s easier to digest than common wheat and its glycemic index is also quite low. Therefore, it is an ideal food for patients with diabetes or metabolic disorders.
Spelt consists of:
- Up to 75% carbohydrates.
- 15% protein
- 5% fat
- Plenty of dietary fiber.
- Vitamins B1 and B2.
- Minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.
Like rye, spelt contains lysine, an amino acid that the body does not synthesize on its own. Lysine is crucial for improving calcium absorption, producing hormones and boosting the immune system.
How to Prepare Homemade Rye and Spelt BreadThis homemade bread is easy to make and can be used in virtually any meal.
Homemade rye and spelt bread is a delicious option to enjoy for breakfast or snacks. You can even serve it as a side with soup or pasta at lunch or dinner. You can also freeze it in slices to toast later.
Ready to try making this bread at home?
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat rye flour (100 g)
- 2 cups whole spelt flour (400 g)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh crumbled yeast (20 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (7 g)
- To start, heat the water a little (no higher than 35°C/95°F) and sprinkle in the yeast.
- Then, add both flours into a big bowl and mix well.
- Leave a hole in the center of the mixture and slowly pour the yeast and water there.
- Now, knead the dough vigorously until everything is mixed together well. The dough should be smooth and even.
- Then, let the dough rest so the yeast can activate and foam. Shape the dough into a ball, cover it with transparent film, and leave it in a dry, warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 220 ºC/430ºF.
- When the dough has doubled in size, knead again until you have made it the shape you desire.
- If you want, use a mold or prepare a large loaf. You can even make small individual rolls.
- Let the bread stand for 30 minutes. Then, transfer it to the preheated oven at about 220 ºC and leave it for 25 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the bread until it’s baked the way you want. Finally, take it out of the oven and let it cool on a cooling rack before you start eating.
Try this homemade rye and spelt bread recipe!
Now that you know about the benefits and the recipe, don’t forget to try it at home to enjoy it with your whole family.It might interest you...