6 Reasons You Can't Lose Belly Fat and How To Fix It
Struggling to lose that extra belly fat? Here's are some possible causes and some tips to make it go away!
There are other reasons to get rid of belly fat besides just looking better in the mirror. Abdominal fat isn’t good, we all know that. Obviously, no one likes having it, but it’s also unhealthy. If you’ve been trying and failing, it might feel like you just can’t lose belly fat. We’re going to talk about why in this article.
Excessive belly fat is a direct predictor of things like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and insulin resistance. Losing weight in this area the body isn’t easy nor will it happen overnight: you need to be consistent, committed, and improve your living habits as much as possible.
Today, we’re also going to give you some tips on how, because it is possible to lose belly fat. Keep on reading to learn more.
There are six possible reasons you can’t lose belly fat
1. You eat too much processed food
Even if you go on a diet and stick to it, and do great exercises, you still might not see results…But what are you doing so wrong that your stomach isn’t responding to all your effort?
- One of the main reasons is that you still eat processed foods like white bread, crackers, chips, refined sugar, fizzy drinks or sweeteners.
- Remember: belly fat has a link to inflammation, so eating too much processed food will make it harder to shed weight in that area.
You might like:
2. You think you should eliminate every kind of fat from your diet
There are people who themselves that they won’t eat any fat to help them lose weight. But they end up eliminating many foods that would actually help them burn their belly fat.
On this site, we talk a lot about “good” monosaturated fat. This kind of fat has anti-inflammatory properties and can help you take care of your heart and bring down your weight.
Try adding foods with this kind of fat to your diet. Here are some examples:
- Olive oil
- Sunflower Seeds
- Fatty fish (like salmon)
3. You may not be doing the right exercises
It’s not always enough to walk for half an hour, go swimming, dance, or do yoga …
These are all healthy routines. But they don’t work the “key areas” in your abs, pelvis, back, etc. Don’t forget that losing belly fat takes a little more effort, so you need to do some specific exercises for it.
4. You have a lot of stress
This is important because not everyone thinks about it, takes it into account, or pays attention to it.
You can stick to an amazing diet other people have told you about, go to the gym, and have a coach tell you what exercises to get those washboard abs. But you don’t actually see any results. Why?
- Long periods of stress alter your metabolism and increase cortisol levels in your blood.
- Because of this higher level of cortisol, it becomes more likely for your visceral fat levels to go up and turn “stickier.’
5. You don’t get enough sleep
Here’s a piece of info that you should stick into your brain: sleeping less than 6 hours a day is bad for your health and psychological well-being.
If you go 2-3 consecutive months sleeping 5-6 hours a day, this might be why you can’t lose belly fat. On top of that, it can even cause you to gain more weight, and is an added risk factor for diabetes.
6. Are you pear shaped?
This might seem redundant, but there’s an explanation: it’s normal to talk about the shape of your body or a genetic tendency to accumulate fat in certain areas of your body.
- Women are generally thinner on the top half of their body: face, chest, arms, etc. But they tend to accumulate weight around their abdomen and hips.
- In this case, and for genetic reasons, it can be very hard to get rid of belly fat in those areas. But “hard” doesn’t mean the same thing as impossible.
Key tips for losing belly fat and getting in better shape
We pointed this out at the beginning: getting a firm, flat belly without as much fat means changing a lot of your habits. To achieve this metamorphosis, you should really start by changing your mindset.
You can tell yourself simple things like: “I’m losing weight” (instead of “I want to lose weight”) or “I’m proud of the effort I’m making” (instead of “I’m going to work hard”).
By doing that, you’re emphasizing the present action and desired result and not just the process. This is something a lot of people forget to think about.
Once you’ve changed your mindset, you can focus on specific things to help you lose belly fat. Here are some things to start working on now:
- Start the day with a glass of room temperature water with lemon. You can drink sage tea during the day.
- Consume soluble fiber, reduce your refined carbohydrate intake, and don’t skip any meals.
- Eliminate alcohol and trans fats from your diet. Replace those fats with the monounsaturated kind and increase your protein intake.
- Manage stress and do aerobic and muscle-building exercises.
- Sleep between 7-9 hours a day.
- Consume fish like salmon, mackerel, herring, and sardines.
- Eat probiotic foods because they help keep your intestinal flora healthy.
- Have another person or several go on the same diet and follow these recommendations with you.
If you have a common goal with a friend, family member or partner, you’ll feel more motivated.
Wrapping up, remember that you won’t get results in a matter of weeks or even a month. It might not be a quick fix, but if you follow these guidelines, you’ll be living a healthier lifestyle with a better diet.