Relieve Constipation with this Plum, Fennel and Flax Seed Smoothie
Thanks to the fibre from its ingredients, this smoothie is ideal for relieving constipation and associated discomfort, such as abdominal swelling or gas.
Did you know that you can relieve constipation naturally?
Constipation is a digestive disorder characterised by the slowing down of intestinal transit, which causes an inability to evacuate waste because it tends to be hard and dry.
People who suffer from it don’t defecate regularly. This is either because they have to make more effort to do it, or because they don’t feel the need to for three or more days.
In many cases it’s accompanied by pain and abdominal swelling. Plus, it may come with gas, a bloated feeling, and other uncomfortable symptoms that can get worse if not addressed.
It’s normally related to poor diets, low in fibre and liquids, but it can also occur due to stress, hormonal changes, or a sedentary lifestyle.
Fortunately, there are natural remedies that help control it, and their ingredients gives the body the nutrients it needs for an optimal digestive process.
Among these remedies is a plum, fennel, and flax seed smoothie which, because of its laxative properties, safely helps the problem.
Try it out!
Plum, fennel, and flax seed smoothie to relieve constipation
The ingredients we mix in this delicious natural smoothie give the body a boost of fibre and antioxidant compounds that are great for the intestine.
Its depurative and laxative properties help remove the accumulated waste in the colon. It also feeds the healthy bacteria that live inside it.
The benefits of plums
For many decades, plums have been one of the most widely used natural remedies for the relief of slow digestion.
- They contain an good amount of insoluble fibre, which gives volume to faeces to make it easier to evacuate.
- It also contains soluble fibre that, when absorbed in the body, improves bowel movement and helps reduce bad cholesterol (LDL).
- They’re low in calories and, because of the minerals they contain, are also suitable for combating inflammation and fluid retention.
The benefits of fennel
Fennel, specifically its seeds, is a digestive and anti-inflammatory ingredient that has been widely used as a supplement for relieving constipation.
- It helps the digestion of irritating and large meals, which reduces acidity, reflux, and inflammation.
- It also relieves abdominal pain and prevents excessive gas.
The benefits of flax seeds
Due to their high mucilage content, flax seeds are known as an excellent remedy against digestive problems.
- These substances form a gelatinous paste that helps moisten and increase the volume of stool, helping its passage through the intestine.
- They improve bowel movement which is key to removing waste.
- Among other things, it’s worth mentioning that they provide alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that combats inflammation, poor circulation, and excess cholesterol.
How to prepare this smoothie
If you are looking for a smooth and natural formula to combat constipation, try this homemade smoothie made from plums, fennel, and flax.
Drinking it will help you to restore normal bowel movements and aid the detoxification of the body.
- 6 large plums
- 1 tsp. of fennel seeds (5 g)
- 2 tbsps. of soaked flax seeds (20 g)
- 1 tsp. of soaked hemp seeds (5 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- Soak the fennel the flax and fennel seeds overnight in separate glasses.
- The next day, boil the plums in a cup of water and, when they reach a boil, add the fennel seeds.
- Reduce the heat and let the ingredients cook for 10 minutes.
- Then, wait for the water to cool and transfer the mixture to blender jar.
- Add the flax seeds and process at maximum speed.
- Mix all the ingredients for a few moments, until you get a smooth drink.
- Drink the smoothie on an empty stomach, at least 5 days in a row.
Did you like the recipe? If your digestion is slow or you have difficulties with constipation, prepare this healthy drink and see for yourself how good it is for your intestinal health.
Try to supplement it with a diet rich in fibre and water to see even better results.