3 Natural Homemade Solutions to Relieve Anal Fissures
Anal fissures are an aggravating and painful problem that many people have. This can be an acute or chronic disorder that should be treated as soon as possible to avoid excessive blood loss and regulate your bowel movements.
In today’s article, you can find out about some of the best natural solutions to relieve anal fissures. This will help you prevent and treat them using home remedies like cold water, aloe vera, coconut oil, and calendula.
What are anal fissures?
An anal fissure is a small tear on the mucus lining of your rectum. The main cause is constipation and the passage of large stools. This can be a very painful problem that causes bleeding and a long and difficult healing process.
Treatment for an anal fissure should involve a double approach:
- Regular bowel movements and plenty of hydration to avoid aggravating the problem.
- Application of topical remedies that ease the pain and promote fast healing.
How can you regulate your bowel function?
If you suffer from an intestinal disorder, you might not find any relief from medications. Not even natural remedies can always offer long-term results, but rather they are quick fixes to alleviate the problem. A long-term solution will involve changing your daily eating and lifestyle habits:
- Your diet should be based on fruits and vegetables, both raw and cooked (juices, smoothies, salads, sautéed, etc.). These should be on your plate for every meal.
- Whenever possible, choose wholegrain foods that aren’t refined (grains, flours, pasta, etc.).
- When you eat a lot of fiber, your body will need water to process it. Drink at least two liters of water a day outside your meals.
- Don’t forget to add legumes, nuts, and seeds to your weekly menus.
- Get exercise two to three times a week and avoid leading a sedentary lifestyle, especially if you’re sitting for long periods during the day.
- Fight stress and other anxiety disorders.
1. Cold water
If you suffer from anal fissures, you will need immediate relief from pain and itching in many unexpected moments. Although this does not offer us a cure for the problem, cold water will help you calm the discomfort immediately, according to this study carried out by the University of the Americas (Chile). However, you must combine it with subsequent treatments.
You should apply cold water directly to the affected area. It’s easiest to do this in the shower or a bidet. If this isn’t possible, you can use a small towel that has been moistened in cold water and apply it for a few moments.
In addition, people suffering from an anal fissure should avoid using conventional toilet paper, which can aggravate the problem. They should use wet wipes or use a bidet if they are residing in a country that uses them.
2. Healthy vegetable oils
Cold water is an ideal treatment for momentary discomfort. Nevertheless, to prevent or treat anal fissures, you should moisturize and protect this sensitive area of the body. Natural products can be used for this, so avoid using chemical substances that have negative effects.
The simplest and most effective treatment involves using vegetable oils. They deeply nourish your skin and make it more elastic to prevent a new fissure from forming.
- The best options are almond oil (as stated in this study by Salisbury General Hospital) and olive oil (according to this study by the University Foundation of Cardiology).
- You can also add a little cypress essential oil to promote good circulation.
3. A healing remedy
In addition to moisturizing your skin, you can also make a homemade treatment that will help speed up the healing process. It has regenerative properties that will close the fissure as soon as possible. At the same time, what we propose is also an anti-inflammatory, nourishing, and calming remedy thanks to the properties of aloe (according to this study carried out by the “Amalia Simoni Argilagos” Provincial Teaching Clinical Surgical Hospital in Cuba).
- 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon of rose-hip oil (15 ml)
You can use natural aloe vera gel if we extract it from the inside of the plant’s leaf. In that case, you must use it right away. Otherwise, you can buy a gel that’s as pure as possible.
Read this article too: Joint Pain Relief with Lemon Peel and Olive Oil
Preparation and application
- Mix the aloe vera with the rose-hip oil.
- Apply it to the affected area several times a day and after each bath.