Top 5 Natural Drinks for Gastritis
Do you know about the best natural drinks for gastritis? We’ll be telling you about them today and how to make them!
The purpose of these drinks is to contribute to a person’s nutrition and daily hydration, and not cure gastritis as such. Because of this, they should always be considered as a complement, not as a treatment.
A brief description of gastritis
Gastritis is a common disease of the digestive system that can have several causes. It can be caused by injury, stress, the use of certain drugs, alcoholism, smoking, infection with Helicobacter pylori, and immune system disorders. Of course, treatment depends on the cause, and it’s true that drugs are often used to reduce gastric acid.
It doesn’t always cause symptoms, but usually causes abdominal pain or discomfort, nausea, and vomiting. That’s why medical treatment is essential.
5 natural drinks for gastritis
Patients with gastritis may consider consuming these drinks, as long as their doctor authorizes them. If they do, you should drink them freshly prepared, in moderate amounts, slowly enjoying each sip, and preferably between meals, as part of a snack.
- Diet and nutrition experts generally instruct patients to be aware of their tolerance for raw foods (fruit in this case).
- While undergoing treatment for gastritis, it’s a good option to eat ripe, stewed, pureed, or baked fruit.
- Experts recommend avoiding citrus fruits, which are very acidic and unripe in general.
- They also recommend that patients don’t add sugar to the following beverages, as very sugary foods and juices can cause discomfort.
- You should be careful with the temperature of the drinks: they shouldn’t be too cold or too hot, as this aggravates the irritation.
- It isn’t advisable to prepare drinks with dairy products, as these cause more discomfort.
- Fruits are beneficial because they provide vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber.
Discover more here: How to Make a Passion Fruit Granita
1. Papaya smoothie
- 1 small papaya
- 1 glass of water (250 ml)
- Optional: 1 banana, grated coconut
- Peel the papaya and cut it into small pieces to make it easier to blend
- Blend until smooth
- Taste and adjust the water content if necessary
- Serve and consume
- You can sprinkle a little grated coconut to give it a special touch
2. Pear and banana juice
Pear and banana juice is another of the best natural drinks for gastritis, because it combines two ingredients that can be easily digested and that taste delicious together.
- 1 pear
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ glass of water (125 ml)
- Wash the pear and cut it into slices. Discard only the seeds and stem.
- Peel the banana, and cut into slices.
- Put all the ingredients together and blend until you get a smooth mixture.
- Serve and consume.
- If you’d like to have a thinner drink, add more water and, if not, add another banana.
3. Carrot juice
Carrot juice is a good option – it’s very nourishing and refreshing due to the high water content of carrots. Some people prepare it with a bit of green apple to make it taste even more delicious.
- 3 or 4 carrots
- 1 glass of water (250 ml)
- Optional: 1 green apple
- Peel and slice the carrots
- Process in the blender along with the glass of water
- Serve and drink
4. Apple juice
Another of the best natural drinks for gastritis is natural apple juice (without added sugar). It can be easily prepared at home and, as it has a certain sweetness to it, it helps to ease hunger, as well as refreshing you.
The great advantage of preparing it at home is that the juice can be diluted with as much water as you want.
Note: You can also prepare a puree or apple sauce, which are very easy to digest and don’t cause any stomach discomfort.
5. Coconut water
Coconut water is another hydrating drink that can be consumed while following treatment for gastritis. It’s easy to digest and has several vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, and B9), minerals (potassium, sodium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, iron), antioxidants, and essential amino acids, which can contribute to nutrition.
Find out more here: 8 Awesome Benefits of Coconut Water
Always follow the doctor’s instructions
It’s important that, in addition to following the treatment prescribed by the doctor, you follow good lifestyle habits and avoid anything that can harm you. Try to take into account the recommendations we’ve given you regarding your diet and, before making any changes, remember to always consult your doctor.
It isn’t advisable to replace main meals with fruit drinks, as this can weaken you and make you more vulnerable to different health problems. Remember that these are just a supplement to your diet that you can enjoy between meals, in moderation.