8 Awesome Benefits of Coconut Water
What is coconut water?
Coconut water a clear liquid that coconuts natural carry inside. It’s 94% water, and also has a high amount of minerals, vitamins and nutritive elements.
Also read: How to Beautify Your Face with Coconut Milk
1. It’s a wonderful source of nutrients
The first benefit of this drink on our list is that it’s a good, easy and effective way to get vitamins and minerals. One glass of coconut water contains around:
- 9 grams of carbohydrates
- 3 grams of fiber
- 2 grams of protein
- 46 calories
- Vitamin C
2. It helps you maintain your weight
Another benefit of coconut water is that it’s sweet, but low in calories. Thus, it’s the perfect substitute for beverages, commercial juices and other bottled drinks.
Furthermore, its high antioxidant content helps you stay looking young. However, because the water also contains high levels of sugar and sodium, you shouldn’t drink it excessively.
You should aim to drink a glass (250 ml) of coconut water daily. If you want to get the most out of its sweet taste, mix it with a liter of water.
3. It boasts antioxidant properties
Free radicals are unstable molecules that appear in cells during metabolism. When there are too many free radicals present, the body finds itself in a state of oxidative stress.
Oxidative stress can harm cells and increase the risk of getting sick. Fortunately, the next benefit of coconut water is that it contains antioxidants that fight those free radicals.
4. It hydrates your body
Among other benefits of this delicious drink is its high electrolyte content. The body needs these minerals to keep liquids in balance. They’re great for hydrating after strenuous exercise routines. The electrolytes that it provides are:
5. It helps reduce blood pressure levels
Coconut water’s night potassium content helps blood pressure levels. Just 1 glass of coconut water can provide you with 600 mg of potassium.
- Keep in mind that, in addition to drinking coconut water, you should exercise and follow a healthy diet.
6. It controls glucose levels
Are you a diabetic? If so, you’ll be happy to know that another benefit of coconut water is that it can control your blood sugar levels. As a great source of magnesium, it makes the body more sensitive to insulin.
A good way to prevent glucose spikes is using coconut water as a base for green smoothies. For the smoothies, use two vegetable portions and omit fruit.
7. It prevents headaches and hangovers
When you drink alcohol, your body begs you for water and electrolytes. In the following day, that need can make you feel lethargic, tired and might give you headaches and nausea. A glass of coconut water can help you feel better faster.
If you have a headache that’s not related to alcohol, coconut water still can be a big help. Its electrolytes can reduce the discomfort.
8. It prevents kidney stones
Drinking plenty of liquids is important for preventing kidney stones. Even though water is a fantastic option, not everybody enjoys drinking it. If that’s your story, you’re in luck.
Kidney stones form when too much calcium, oxalate and other compounds accumulate in the kidneys.
Coconut water prevents those crystals from attaching to the kidneys. It also reduces the amount of crystals or residue that form by making them easier to be exit through liquids.
Can you get the same benefits with commercial coconut water?
There are many commercial brands out there that offer very healthy options. You should check the product labels. In the ingredient list, a good product should only have coconut water and, maybe, mineral water.
If you find other ingredients such as conservatives or sugar, look for another option.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Yong, J. W. H., Ge, L., Ng, Y. F., & Tan, S. N. (2009). The chemical composition and biological properties of coconut (Cocos Nucifera L.) water. Molecules. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules14125144
- Prades, A., Dornier, M., Diop, N., & Pain, J.-P. (2012). Coconut water preservation and processing: a review. Fruits. https://doi.org/10.1051/fruits/2012009
- Gomes, F. P., & Prado, C. H. B. A. (2007). Ecophysiology of coconut palm under water stress. Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1677-04202007000400008
- Prades, A., Dornier, M., Diop, N., & Pain, J.-P. (2012). Coconut water uses, composition and properties: a review. Fruits. https://doi.org/10.1051/fruits/2012002