Treat Your Cough, Allergies, or Flu with Onions
Are you fighting yet another cold this winter? Learn how to use onions to treat your cough, allergies and flu.
Are you fighting yet another cold this winter? Does the flu have you down? Are you sick and tired of those annoying allergies? Learn how to take advantage of the amazing benefits of onions to treat your cough, allergies and the flu.
The changes of the seasons can cause your body’s immune system to weaken and increase your risk of catching the flu or other respiratory diseases, especially during cold weather. Although these are common and easy to treat disorders, they almost always trigger a series of symptoms that prevent you from going about your daily activities.
And while there are lots of products and treatments that can speed up your recovery, you may need to resort to some home remedies to control your symptoms.
Fortunately, those are easy to make and typically contain ingredients that are available during any season.
Today, we’d like to share an interesting treatment that can be made with onions. Believe it or not, this flavorful vegetable can actually help to alleviate cough, allergies, and all kinds of respiratory distress.
Give it a try!
The amazing benefits of onionsOnions are a very well known vegetable that’s been used for centuries. Valued for its nutrient content, this food is found in hundreds of culinary and medicinal recipes.
Onions have a high concentration of sulfur, which – in addition to its unique flavor – also lends it its antibacterial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties that are helpful when it comes to the treatment of many diseases.
See also: 7 ways to strengthen your immune system
Onions also contain large quantities of vitamins A and C, which are important for strengthening your immune system and helping fight against pathogens that negatively affect your health.
In turn, this improves the health of your skin, reduces your risk of cardiovascular disorders, and promotes the optimal functioning of your body’s excretory system.In addition, onions have an interesting diuretic effect that alleviates the retention of fluids that can cause your tissues to become inflamed.
It’s also an interesting treatment for respiratory infections thanks to its expectorant and anti-inflammatory effects that reduce irritation of the throat, coughing, and congestion.
Because of its high content of essential nutrients, it helps reduce the presence of viruses and bacteria that are related to the flu, tonsillitis, and asthma.
Finally, onions contain antihistamine compounds that block the substances that trigger allergic reactions.
How to make a natural onion treatment
This onion preparation is an antibiotic treatment that you can use to alleviate common respiratory diseases.
It will reduce the symptoms that make you feel sick while fighting the organisms that cause the illness at the same time.
Because it feeds the healthy bacteria of your intestines, taking this remedy can improve your immune system’s response and creates a protective barrier against future attacks.
- 3 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g, optional)
- Peel the onions and cut them into several pieces.
- Add them to a blender along with the juice of one lemon and two cloves of garlic.
- Once you obtain a thick paste, press it through a cloth to strain the juice.
- If you notice that the consistency is too thick, add a couple of tablespoons of water and blend again.
- After you make this treatment, store it in a glass jar for 24 hours.
- You can sweeten it with the optional tablespoon of honey when you take it.
Mode of consumption
- At the first sign of respiratory illness, take a tablespoon of this treatment every four hours.
- Once you notice your symptoms are improving, take two tablespoons a day.
- As a preventative measure, you can consume a tablespoon on an empty stomach.
Other benefitsWhile the main purpose of this natural remedy is to treat problems associated with respiratory illnesses, its properties also make it a great boost for your overall health.
We recommend reading: Foods that burn fat
Therefore, this treatment can also help:
- Protect your cardiovascular and circulatory systems
- Relive joint and muscle pain
- Avoid urinary tract infections
- Prevent intestinal and digestive problems
- Fight skin infections, along with fungus and warts
- Treat burns and superficial wounds
- Reduce menstrual cramps
- Eliminate blemishes on the skin
- Ease ear pain
It’s important to understand that the effects of this treatment will vary from person to person, depending on the disease and the immune system response.
It can be used as an alternative treatment or as a complement to medications designed to control these symptoms.
Don’t take more than the recommended amount because it can also have negative side effects.