How to Make Rice Stuffed Artichokes
Take advantage of the wonderful benefits of artichokes in this tasty and nutritious recipe. You can't miss the incredible flavor of rice stuffed artichokes!
Rice stuffed artichokes are a perfect dinner option. Take advantage of the wonderful benefits of artichokes to dazzle your entire family with their exquisite flavor! The combination of artichokes and rice is simply delicious.
Rice stuffed artichokes
Artichoke is the edible flower head of the plant of the same name. It grows best in temperate climates and people have the pleasure of enjoying it approximately from September to May.
As always, we’d like to remind you to consume seasonal vegetables and fruits. Not only are they much tastier and more nutritious because they’re sold very ripe (instead of ripening in boxes) but they’re also much cheaper!
Nutritional value of artichokes
Nutritionally speaking, artichokes are mostly water (this makes them an ideal food for hot seasons since they hydrate you without you even realizing it) and carbohydrates (mostly fiber and inulin).
As for minerals, they mostly contain phosphorus and potassium. In fact, a serving of artichokes (300 grams) contains 20% of the recommended daily phosphorus intake, an essential mineral to keep your teeth and bones healthy.
On the other hand, it’s a highly recommended vegetable for weight loss diets, since it doesn’t contain a lot of calories: 44 kcal per 100 g.
The nutritional value of rice
The other main ingredient in this recipe is rice, a cereal rich in starch. It’s worth commenting that depending on the amylose and amylopectin (the components of starch) rice contains, it can be more or less viscous. Regarding its nutritional intake, it stands out as a source of vitamin B3 (niacin) and vitamin B6.
We recommend opting for whole-grain rice because it retains the fiber, minerals, and vitamins that the refining and polishing process of rice makes it lose. Below, discover our easy rice stuffed artichoke recipe! Enjoy!
Read on to learn more: Artichoke: A Vegetable that May Help You Watch Your Weight
How to make rice stuffed artichokes
Based on the analysis we presented to you, you can deduce that this dish is very nutritious. In addition to artichokes and rice, you’ll use onions, peas, and some seasonings to give the dish a unique flavor. However, remember that you can add all the vegetables you like!
- 8 medium-sized artichokes
- 150 g of brown rice
- 1 large onion
- 100 g of peas
- 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of allspice
- Fresh mint (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 lemons
- Water (the amount needed)
This article may interest you: Medicinal Uses for Artichokes You Should Know About
- First, peel and cube the onion.
- Then, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the cubed onion. Sauté it until it begins to turn translucent.
- Add the rice and salt. After that, stir so the rice doesn’t burn. Cook the rice this way for about two minutes.
- Chop the fresh mint and add all the spices to the pan, as well as the peas.
- Then, pour some water (approximately 400 ml.) to the mixture and stir for about four minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Cut the stems and the tops of the artichokes. The idea is to fill them. Therefore, you must inspect how much space you need for the rice.
- Remove the centers of the artichokes, chop them, and add them to the rice mixture.
- After that, cut a lemon and rub the center and edges of each artichoke leaf with it.
- Remove the water from the rice mixture but don’t throw it away. Set it aside.
- Next, fill each artichoke with the rice and place them in a large pot.
- Cut the last lemon into slices to have one for each artichoke. Place one of these slices on each artichoke.
- Then, drizzle them with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle them with sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Finally, pour the cooking water from the rice that you stored aside until you cover approximately three or four fingers of the artichokes and cook over low heat for 40 to 50 minutes.
What did you think of this rice stuffed artichokes recipe?
As you’ve seen, it’s very easy to make, even though you need a little patience because the artichokes take some time to cook. However, the result is definitely worth it. Be sure to try this recipe out!