How to Make Low-Sugar Citrus Jam
Homemade citrus jam is a good way to enjoy the benefits of citrus fruits. However, jams often contain a lot of sugar. For this reason, we decided to share healthy jam recipes that contain honey or stevia.
Although reducing sugar intake isn’t easy, it’s healthy. For this reason, many people look for foods that are low in sugar or sugar substitutes. In addition, it’s best to consume low-sugar homemade products. A good example is citrus jam that tastes delicious… even though it doesn’t contain sugar.
In this article, we propose two citrus jam recipes with honey and stevia.
The benefits of citrus fruits are widely known. You’re probably aware that orange juice, lemon juice, or juicy tangerines are good for you.
Citrus fruits are characteristically acidic. Rich in essential oils, they also have other health benefits:
- They’re a source of vitamins and minerals. In fact, they contain calcium, magnesium, and iron, among other minerals. Likewise, they contain vitamins, such as vitamins C, A, B1, and B2.
- They protect the digestive system.
- These fruits help control cholesterol levels and, therefore, promote cardiovascular health.
- They help prevent diabetes.
- In addition, they aid weight loss.
Due to their vitamin and mineral content, they boost the immune system. In this regard, the most common citrus fruits are:
We recommend you to read: Citrus Fruits May Help Prevent Obesity and Strokes
Low sugar citrus jam recipes
What better way to start the day with a good breakfast? It’s even better if you include citrus fruits for breakfast! A delicious way to incorporate them is by preparing tasty citrus jam.
However, we know that jams usually contain a lot of sugar, so we propose low-sugar recipes to make breakfast even healthier.
To do this, you only have to replace sugar with a healthy sweetener or, much better, with honey. This way, you won’t only reduce your intake of refined sugar but you’ll also be adding the benefits of honey and stevia to your jam. Don’t miss it!
Recipe #1. Citrus jam with honey
- 2 large oranges
- 3 or 4 tangerines
- 200 ml of water
- 400 g of honey
- A cinnamon stick
- First of all, wash the fruits well.
- Then, peel the tangerines and the oranges and set the orange peels aside.
- Next, cut the fruits into small pieces.
- After that, put the oranges and tangerines, along with the orange peel, into a pot and add the water. Boil for about an hour.
- Then, remove the peels and blend the mixture until it’s smooth and lump-free.
- After that, put the mixture back in the pot and add the honey and cinnamon.
- Boil for another 15 minutes. Remember to never stop stirring.
- Let cool. Only when the jam is cold will you know if it has the right thickness.
- Finally, pour the jam into glass jars and let cool. Once you open them, you must store them in the fridge.
This article may interest you: Healthy Jam Recipe to Strengthen Your Immune System
Recipe #2. Citrus jam with stevia
- 2.2 pounds of oranges
- Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of stevia
- A cinnamon stick
- Firstly, wash the oranges very well and cut them into pieces. Make sure to remove all the seeds and white parts. Set the orange peels aside.
- Next, squeeze the oranges and cook the juice for approximately 40 minutes over low heat.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the lemon and mix its juice with the stevia and orange peels.
- Then, add this lemon, stevia, and orange peel mixture to the pot with the orange juice and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and blend the mixture (except the orange peels).
- Finally, pour the jam into glass jars.
- When it cools, it’s ready to for you enjoy!