Ginger, Turmeric, and Cayenne Pepper Drink
At first, a mixture of ginger, turmeric, and cayenne pepper may sound a bit odd. However, it tastes really good. Especially if you love aromatic and spicy drinks.
So why should you mix these three ingredients in one drink? Mainly because they all contain antioxidants, which are substances that support the health of your entire body and reduce the impact of oxidative stress.
Experts from the Spanish Heart Foundation confirm that
“Their presence in food is essential not only because they activate the natural organoleptic properties, thus preserving them, but because they protect the health in a comprehensive and effective way when ingested.”
Let’s review each one of these ingredients below.
Ginger, turmeric, and cayenne pepper are a healthy combination
Ginger and turmeric are two ingredients widely used in various remedies for different health problems. In this drink, cayenne pepper is also added, which enhances its positive effect.
This striking yellow spice with a unique taste has been used in India as a condiment and medicinal plant for centuries.
According to popular beliefs, it has anti-inflammatory potential -due to its content of curcumin- and antioxidants. Today, these properties are supported by numerous scientific analyses, as well as their antimicrobial, immunostimulant, and liver-protective actions.
Cayenne pepper is a hot spice that’s used in a wide variety of recipes as well as folk remedies. It originates from South and Central America but also grows in other tropical areas.
It’s characterized by its high content of capsaicin. This substance, in addition to giving it flavor, gives it antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties.
It also contains piperine. This is a compound that influences the increase in the secretion of digestive juices (gastric, pancreatic, intestinal). It also improves food digestion, spasms, flatulence, and pain and discomfort in the stomach.
Scientific evidence links the intake of spicy red chili with a decrease in mortality. However, it should be noted that, for the moment, the relationship can be suggested but not the causality.
Ginger is an aromatic root. It’s adaptable and used in various recipes. The part most widely used is the rhizome, but it’s also found in powder or dehydrated form.
Ginger has proven digestive, analgesic, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties. Its active compound, gingerol, gives it its characteristic spicy flavor and a large part of its medicinal action.
You might like to read: The Properties and Uses of Ginger
Ginger, turmeric, and cayenne pepper drink
To prepare this drink, use the following recipe. You can vary the amounts of each individual ingredient according to your taste.
- 4 lemons.
- 2 liters of water.
- A touch of honey (optional).
- 2 pieces of fresh ginger.
- Cayenne pepper (to taste).
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder (10 grams).
- Juice the ginger in a juice extractor with the juice of the lemons.
- Add the water, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and the lemons, sliced.
- Stir everything with a wooden spoon and sweeten with a little honey (in moderation).
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- You can drink it either hot or cold.
- Serve once you’ve finished preparing it and drink whenever you want: together with a meal, a snack, or on its own.
- Some people consume this drink in the morning before exercising.
- There’s no evidence that consuming this beverage on an empty stomach has any special benefit for health and performance. Nevertheless, some choose to consume it this way when they’re aiming for a healthier lifestyle and weight loss.
You might also be interested to read: Delicious Ginger and Turmeric Tea to Help You Lose Weight
The possible benefits of ginger, turmeric, and cayenne pepper drink
As you’ve seen, this drink contains some helpful properties for the body. However, there are no studies or observations regarding the consumption of this particular infusion and its impact on certain diseases and health conditions.
Taking into account its properties separately, it might be considered that its use could improve some of the following situations:
- Calm the pain derived from inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or irritable bowel syndrome.
- Protect against the development of some health problems related to inflammation and oxidative stress. For example, heart disease or diabetes.
- Help the proper functioning of the immune system and improve some symptoms of cold and flu.
- Improve certain digestive problems, including nausea and vomiting.
We must emphasize that these possible benefits derive from the separate properties of the three ingredients. Furthermore, they’re not a substitute for the appropriate medical treatment for each condition.
Consume as a supplement
You must bear in mind that this drink isn’t a remedy or cure for any type of discomfort or disease. It’s a natural supplement to be included in the context of a healthy lifestyle, in moderation.
The consumption of these spices is generally safe for the general population when taken as food. That said, taking them in higher doses to obtain more benefits can have adverse effects.
In addition, their use may cause side effects in certain cases. For this reason, in the following situations it’s advisable to take professional advice before consuming them regularly:
- Pregnancy and lactation.
- Blood clotting problems and bleeding disorders.
- Heart disease, liver disease, gallstones, bile duct obstructions, or cancer.
- Follow-up of pharmacological treatment of any kind, since they interact with some types of medication. In this case, whether and when to include them should be assessed by a doctor.
- Waiting for surgery.
If their use is contraindicated, it’s best to abandon them and look for another treatment that’s better suited to the needs of your body.
Finally, remember that you shouldn’t add too much honey, sugar, or other sweeteners to the drink or it will contain too much added sugar and have a higher calorie content.It might interest you...