Fight Nail Fungus with Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda
Both baking soda and apple cider vinegar have antimycotic properties. If applied regularly enough, they can help combat fungal infections.
Onychomycosis or nail fungus is a common infection that occurs when there is an excessive growth of dermatophytes or yeast, according to this study carried out by the University of the Republic, Uruguay.
It is a very common problem which, although not serious, can change the color, texture, and shape of the nails.
The main cause of nail fungus is coming in contact with contaminated items, such as dirty floors or footwear, but it can also be caused by a weak immune system and excessive sweating.
Although it may go unnoticed at first, a fungal infection can give nails a yellowish tone within a few days, which is almost always accompanied by weakening and breakages.
Fortunately, there are a number of remedies and cosmetic products which, thanks to their antifungal properties, can help to eliminate the infection before it gets worse.
Among these options is an all-natural apple cider vinegar and baking soda remedy. These two anti-fungal ingredients can speed up the recovery process without unwanted side effects.
In this article, we’ll tell you all about the benefits of this remedy and how you can easily make it at home.
Apple cider vinegar and baking soda: a natural treatment to fight nail fungus
This apple cider vinegar and baking soda treatment is a natural choice to get rid fungal infections that can affect the structure of the nails.
This is because this treatment stops the growth of microorganisms, preventing weakening, yellowing, or dark discoloration of the nail.
While no fungal infection can be cured overnight, using this treatment regularly will help prevent the infection from spreading and contaminating other people. We would also recommend booking an appointment with a podiatrist, who will be able to recommend the best course of treatment.
However, it’s also very important to maintain good hygiene habits. A good body cleansing routine is crucial for disrupting the environment that the fungus requires to grow.
The benefits of apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is obtained by the process of fermentation. This process releases healthy bacteria and yeasts, which give it a particularly acidic flavor.
According to this study by the Postgraduate Program in Dentistry in Sao Paulo, Brazil, this also gives the apple cider vinegar its powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Contains malic acid and acetic acid, two alkaline substances that help to stop yeast infections.
- Regular application disturbs the environment that fungus needs to reproduce.
- It also contains an interesting amount of bioflavonoids, vitamins, minerals and fibers which, among other things, are great for the skin.
The benefits of baking soda
Baking soda is a natural product that is used for cooking, home and medicinal purposes.
- As shown in this study by the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, it has antiseptic, alkaline and antimycotic properties, which can facilitate the control of various types of internal and external infections.
- Topical use removes dead cells that accumulate on the surface of the skin.
- It’s ideal for regulating the pH level of your skin. It also decreases sweating (as stated in this investigation by the New York University) and other conditions that facilitate the development of fungi and bacteria.
You may also like:
How to prepare the apple cider vinegar and baking soda treatment
This apple cider vinegar and baking soda treatment can be done in two simple steps:
- First, apply the apple cider vinegar directly onto the nails, either by soaking your feet in the vinegar, or applying it with cotton wool.
- Then after several minutes, use baking soda to enhance the anti-fungal treatment.
- 6 cups of water (1.5 liters)
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar (125 ml)
- 7 ½ tablespoons of baking soda (75 g)
- Heat up some water until it reaches a tolerable temperature for your skin. Then add the apple cider vinegar.
- Dip your feet into the liquid and let them stand there for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, dry your feet well, and apply the baking soda with gentle exfoliating massages.
- Rub the baking soda directly on your nails. Let it work for another 15 minutes.
- Rinse your feet with warm water and dry them again.
- Repeat the treatment every night to improve the appearance of affected nails.
Remember, even though this method can fight nail fungus, you won’t get results with a single application.
It’s essential to be consistent with the application of this remedy. This will subject the fungi to an acidic environment that makes it easier to eliminate them completely.