Many women feel pain during menstruation, but the gynecologist has no other solution than to take anti-inflammatories or taking a birth control pill.
We will explain what can cause these pains or cramps, and how to treat them with food and some natural supplements.
The main reason why women suffer from menstrual pain is an excess of estrogen in the blood. Estrogen is an essential hormone for health because it influences your intellectual capacity, bone development, circulation, etc. But it can be a problem if you have too much estrogen because, in that case, it will be the cause of various imbalances in your health like pain during menstruation, for example.
Why Do You Have Too Much Estrogen?
Below is everything that influences increases in estrogen levels in both men and women:
- Harmful food or food you don’t digest properly because of food intolerances
- Tobacco and alcohol
- Environmental pollution
- Food additives and toxic substances in the products you use every day (soaps, shampoos, makeup, etc.)
- Birth control pills
Risk of Excess Estrogen
Menstrual pain is not the only consequence of high levels of estrogen. It can also lead to other health problems, which will also help you find out if this is your problem:
In order to treat this hormonal imbalance, you should avoid or limit the following foods as much as possible in your diet:
- Sugar and sugary drinks: Sugar does not give you any benefits. The white kind is very harmful because it takes away minerals from you and acidifies you progressively. You should completely eliminate it and substitute it with stevia, bee honey, or fruit and grain molasses.
- Wheat: The wheat we eat today is very adulterated and many people do not digest or assimilate it well, without them knowing it. Try to substitute it with oats, saccharine wheat, or rye, and always choose whole grains.
- Cow’s milk: People with high levels of estrogen tend to suffer from some kind of lactose intolerance, but they don’t know it. We recommend choosing vegetable drinks with oat, almond, or rice, and even sheep or cow cheese. Soy milk is not healthy, because in addition to being transgenic, most of the time it is also rich in estrogen.
- Too much red meat. You should eat it once every fifteen days, at the most, with a salad or vegetable.
- Stimulants like coffee, alcohol, and cola drinks. Highly not recommended.
In addition to avoiding those harmful foods, which will make you feel much better, in general, we also recommend taking these three supplements every day to help you eliminate excess estrogen and regulate your hormonal system.
- Linseed oil: Oil that is first cold pressed from linseed is rich in essential fatty acids and will help regulate your hormone levels when you have too much estrogen. It is also a good remedy if you have dry skin. Take a tablespoon a day (15 grams), alone or mixed with food. If you want to avoid the flavor, you can take it as a capsule.
- Chasteberry (Vitex agnus-castus): This medicinal plant allows you to treat all kind of menstrual irregularities and can even cause ovulation in women that don’t have a period for unknown reasons. Take 200 mg of the extract a day for at least 3 to 4 months, because its effectiveness is progressive.
- Maca: This Andean root is known as a superfood and is a hormone regulator for many reasons because it acts on the pituitary gland and hypothalamus. It is very energetic, which will work great if you are going through a stressful period. Take between 3 and 6 grams a day. You can take it as a capsule or mix it with a little bit of water, juice, or yogurt. In some cases, it can cause a little bit of nervousness. If this is the case, you should reduce the dose and only take the two remedies above.
Images courtesy of Tonino Donato, Esther Simpson, and Food Loves Writing.