Seven Exercises to Help Get Rid of Your Double Chin
While the lower chin may be a relatively small area of the body, that doesn’t stop it from being important. In fact, the layer of fat in this area of the body plays an important role, both aesthetically and medically. An excessive build-up of fat is often considered unattractive, as well as unhealthy. So continue reading to find out how to get rid of your double chin.
Due to a number of different factors, including genetics, weight changes, hormonal alterations, etc., this fat tends to become looser and stretch over time. Fortunately, according to an article published by JAMA Facial Surgery, there are currently several therapeutic ways to reduce the appearance of double chins, and limit its impact on your health and looks.
Among the many different options are a series of exercises that can help to strengthen the muscles in the neck and face, and reduce this layer of fat. While they won’t have miraculous, instantaneous effects, practicing them regularly can help exercise and tone the right muscles. Ready to give them a shot?
We think you may also enjoy reading this article: 5 Exercises and Home Remedies to Get Rid of Your Double Chin
Exercises to help get rid of your double chin
When it comes to reducing your double chin, there are some fast and effective treatments available, such as lipostructure or facial liposuction. Plus, as detailed in a publication in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, there are also injectable sodium deoxycholic compounds that may be useful for combating this problem.
These and other options should be evaluated by a cosmetic surgeon, who can give you more information about the various procedures and their risks. On the other hand, there are some less invasive alternatives, including some simple exercises.
The benefits? There’s no risk of side effects, and anyone can use them. The downside? It can take longer to see the results, and it’ll also be important to complement these exercises with good eating habits.
In general, to see changes, you’ll need to exercise the entire body and lose some weight. In addition, as far as possible, they should be complemented with proper facial care.
What does the research say?
In reality, there are very few studies to support the benefits of these exercises to get rid of your double chin. In general, experts recommend maintaining a training routine focused on losing weight, as this is one of the decisive factors when it comes to reducing accumulated fat in this area.
However, an investigation published in the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research highlighted that muscle retraining exercises can help to improve your facial appearance, combat double chins, and help to slow aging. However, this requires consistent training.
If you’re willing to include them in your daily routine, you’ll find some of the different options in the article. Remember, you shouldn’t expect instant results, and you’ll need to maintain other healthy lifestyle habits. Let’s get started.
1. Tongue press
- Start by sitting with your back completely straight and your shoulders relaxed. Extend your neck, turning your face upward as if you were trying to look at the ceiling.
- Once in this position, press your tongue against the roof of the mouth while you bend your neck, trying to touch your chin to your chest.
- Do this while keeping your tongue pressed against the roof of the mouth. Then, relax the tongue and return to the starting position. Do 20 repetitions of this exercise each day.
2. Pout and tilt to get rid of your double chin
- This exercise can be done by sitting down or standing up. Draw in your lips as far as possible (making a pouting gesture) and tense the muscles of your neck.
- Then, while still contracting your neck muscles, bow your head to bring your chin toward your chest.
- Do this exercise without arching your back or shrugging your shoulders. Finish by returning to the starting position. Do around 20 repetitions each day.
3. The “O”
- Just like with the previous exercises, this exercise should be performed with a straight back and relaxed shoulders. Extend your neck backward and close the lips to form an “O”.
- Keep your lips in this position while keeping your neck extended for approximately 20 seconds. Return to the starting position and do 10 repetitions daily.
4. Kiss the ceiling
- This time, you’ll need to be standing with your arms completely relaxed. Then, extend your neck, turning your head upward to look at the ceiling.
- Now pucker your lips, as if you were trying to kiss the ceiling. Try to extend your lips as far as possible while feeling the muscles of your neck and chin harden.
- Keep your lips in this position for at least 5 seconds, then return to the starting position. Do around 15 repetitions of this exercise daily.
5. Neck rotations
- Neck rotations can be done sitting or standing. Try to straighten the spinal column as much as possible, and then move the chin from one shoulder to the other. Do a semicircle when moving from one shoulder to the next, passing over the chest.
- The shoulders should be relaxed the entire time. If not, you could injure yourself. Do 10 repetitions daily.
Like this article? You may also like to read: 3 Yoga Poses to Relieve Neck Pain
6. To the sides
- Firstly, sit on the floor, place one hand on the floor as support, 6 inches from your hip.
- Now, with your left hand on top of your head, rest your right ear on your shoulder while pressing lightly with your hand.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds then switch sides. Perform three repetitions daily.
7. The vowel game
- Starting in a standing position with the spine totally straight, start repeating the vowels slowly and clearly with your mouth wide open. Repeat this exercise several times for 2 or 3 minutes.
Getting rid of your double chin: exercises and good habits
In summary, it’s important to remember your double chin won’t disappear overnight. It’s necessary to combine physical exercise with good eating habits and facial care. Likewise, the routine can be complemented with these exercises aimed at working the lower chin and the muscles that surround it.
However, for more noticeable and faster results, it’s best to seek other types of procedures from professional estheticians and surgeons. Currently, there are several innovative methods to improve the appearance of this area.It might interest you...