Exercise Routines for Strengthening the Cervical Muscles
Exercises that aim to strengthen the cervical muscles should be gentle and we should never overdo them because by doing so, we can cause even more damage to the area.
In order to do so, there is nothing better than using stretching exercises and other activities to work on elasticity and build muscle mass.
The neck is one of the body parts that accumulates the most tension. Discomfort in the cervical muscles is one of the leading reasons why patients today consult their doctors about pain.
In this article, we’ll teach you how to exercise the cervical muscles and some of the benefits of keeping this area in shape.
The benefits of strengthening your cervical muscles
Having strong cervical muscles is an advantage in maintaining a good posture.
These muscles aren’t only interconnected with the spine, but they also have a set of nerve impulses that can suffer from lack of muscle-training.
It helps to maintain balance
Basic motor movement, which is responsible for dynamic balance, needs proper exercise.
Keeping these muscles strong helps to prevent cervical vertigo.
It improves your breathing quality
Keeping the neck flexible has a big impact on respiration efficiency, especially when exercising.
The muscles that play a role in respiration contract during physical activity and failing to train them enough can result in injuries. Furthermore, said injuries can cause something we’re all familiar with: cervical pain.
It helps release stress
Cervical strengthening exercises help to release tension built-up from every day life.
Completing an strengthening session is great for eliminating neck-stiffness and for relaxing affected muscles.
Visit this article: 6 Habits that Cause Neck Pain
How to strengthen your cervical muscles
We need to keep our cervical muscles as flexible as they can be.
In order to do so, you need an exercise routine that helps strengthen muscle tone. Following a proper exercise routine will prevent or lesson crippling contractures.
Our following recommended exercises will help you keep your cervical muscles flexible. Don’t forget to warm-up first:
Exercise 1: Forward stretch
- Sit upright, looking forward.
- Place your hands on your forehead and press on it while you push against your hand with the force of your head.
- Repeat 10 times.
Exercise 2. Side stretch
- Similar to the previous exercise, place your hand on your temple as you try pushing against your it with your head, feeling the push back.
- Continue the exercise, inclining your head until your ear almost reaches your shoulder.
- Follow with the other side.
- Repeat 5 times.
After warming up, continue with these exercises:
- Lower your head forwards, feeling the stretch in the back part of the neck.
- Hold the position for 5 seconds.
- Do the same thing backwards, leaning your head back as much as you can. Hold for 5 seconds.
- Rest 10 seconds.
- Repeat 5 times.
Want to know more? Read: 6 Best Exercises to Decrease Neck Pain
- Turn your head as if to look at your shoulder.
- Move your head slowly back to center.
- Look the opposite way.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Let your head slowly fall forward.
- Turn your head slowly towards the left, making a circular movement that brings your head back and to the right and, finally, to the starting position.
- Rest for 5 seconds.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Work each side 5 times.
- Without moving your head, raise your shoulders as if you wanted to use them to touch your ears.
- Hold this position for 5 seconds.
- After, lower your shoulders as much as you can.
- Hold for 5 seconds.
- Repeat 10 times, in both directions.
We must emphasize that these exercises are meant to be gentle and unhurried. Violent movements may cause sprains.
Maintaining a strong neck is essential for enjoying a pain-free life.
Bad posture, spending long periods of time in front of a computer, sleeping with an unsuitable pillow and allowing stress to build up are triggers for cervical muscle problems.
- Take a well-deserved break, freeing your mind from everyday worries.
- Enjoy the benefits of a brisk walk by including it in your daily routine.
- Remember to use relaxation techniques, like deep breathing exercises in order to control stress.
All of the above, in addition to the exercises that we recommended, will positively impact your health.
Featured image courtesy of © wikiHow.com