Delicious Green Apple and Celery Salad
During nice weather and the summer is the perfect moment for lite and refreshing salads. These are the times they are mostly eaten; however, you should prepare them all year round.
Try out these green apple and celery salads to explore your curiosity and try new flavors. They’re really something else.
The combination of the acidity that comes from the green apple goes perfectly with the celery which gives the salad an original flavor. At the same time, both the apple and celery are great foods for those who are watching their figure or want to eat delicious and healthy food.
Benefits of eating green apple and celery
Green apple is an antioxidant fruit that contains flavonoids, fiber and a high vitamin C content. Eating green apples are good for your heart, bones, and they making your teeth and skin shine radiantly. They keep you satisfied, which is why they’re great for weight loss diets.
As for celery, it’s a great source of vitamin K, folic acid, potassium and fiber, it doesn’t have any calories. Its properties are wonderful for lowering cholesterol and blood pressure.
Celery helps with weight loss and digestion. Its antioxidants have an anti-inflammatory effect, which makes it is good for people with arthritis, asthma and rheumatoid arthritis.
As you can see, green apple and celery salads aren’t only delicious, but they’re also great for staying healthy. The following recipes include these two ingredient which you can use in some variations. Therefore, you can try them out on your own and figure out which one your family loves the most.
Green apple and celery salad recipe
This green apple and celery salad is easy and quick to prepare. It’s a great side-dish that goes well with fish or white meats. You can even have it as a main dish.
Ingredients for 4 people
- 1 bundle of celery (100 g)
- 2 green apples
- Lemon juice (to taste)
- Olive oil (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 5 walnuts
- 5 mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons of a different kind of nut (30 g)
- Mayonnaise (to taste) (optional)
Check out this article too: Five Colon Cleansing Detox Salads
- Wash the celery and remove the leaves, especially the dry areas. Remove the fine fibers and cut them into small cubes.
- Wash the apples. Cut them in half, remove their cores, and cube them. Cover them with a little lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown.
- Chop the walnuts, other nuts and combine them in a bowl. Add the mint leaves, finely chopped, oil, salt and pepper.
- Another dressing you could use is the mayonnaise. When serving, you can sprinkle it on some slivered almonds and peanuts.
If you want, you could use the following recipe as a dressing:
- 5 tablespoons of Dijon mustard (100 g)
- 3 teaspoons of honey (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (15 ml)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a small bowl, mix the Dijon mustard with the rest of the ingredients and beat together until well combined.
- Dress the salad.
Read this article too: 7 Ways You Benefit from the 20-Day Celery Diet
Gourmet green apple and celery salad recipe
For this recipe, you can use other ingredients such as avocados, which add a creaminess to the salad. The gourmet touch comes from the shrimps and artificial crab sticks.
Ingredients for 6 people
- 3 green apples (Granny Smith variety)
- 1 bunch of celery
- 1 small onion
- ½ avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups of peeled and frozen shrimps (300 g)
- 10 artificial crab sticks
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise (60 g)
- Salt (to taste)
- Peel the apples and remove their cores. Cut into small cubes and cover with lemon juice to prevent from browning. Set aside.
- Remove leaves from the celery stalks and cut first vertically, then again horizontally into a similar size just like the apples. Set aside.
- Peel the avocado, remove the pit and cube. Cover with lemon juice and set aside.
- Remove the skin from the onion and finely dice. Clean and chop the crab sticks, set aside.
- Blanch the shrimps in salted boiling water for a minute. Remove and move to a bowl of ice water. Dry them off well and cut them into three chunks.
- In a big bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Season with salt and add the mayonnaise. Stir well to make sure the salad is evenly dressed.
- Serve, decorate each plate with strips of lettuce.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
Kooti, W., & Daraei, N. (2017). A Review of the Antioxidant Activity of Celery (Apium graveolens L). Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1177/2156587217717415
Boyer, J., & Liu, R. H. (2004). Apple phytochemicals and their health benefits. Nutrition Journal. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-3-1
Wolfe, K., Wu, X., & Liu, R. H. (2003). Antioxidant activity of apple peels. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020782a