Classic Recipe of Stuffed Peppers with Cod and Shrimps
Stuffed peppers with cod and shrimps aren’t only delicious, but they also provide a good number of essential nutrients. For this reason, they can be included regularly in the context of a varied and balanced diet.
We’re going to tell you how to prepare them to get the most out of them, thus increasing your fish intake throughout the week.
How to prepare stuffed peppers with cod and shrimps
If you want to prepare some delicious stuffed peppers with cod and shrimp, you’ll need the following products:
- 12 piquillo peppers
- 400 grams (16 oz) of cod
- 60 grams (just over 2 oz) of onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 25 grams (1 oz) of wheat flour
- 100 grams (4 oz) of shrimps
- 425 milliliters of milk
- 25 milliliters of extra virgin olive oil
For the sauce, you will need:
- 5 piquillo peppers
- 40 grams (nearly 2 oz) of onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- 325 milliliters of liquid cream
- 15 milliliters of olive oil
Step by step instructions
- First of all, place a small amount of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan, and then add the finely chopped onion.
- Then add the chopped garlic, continuing to cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the time has elapsed, add the cod (previously desalted for a day or two) to the frying pan.
- As the fish cooks, it will separate with the help of some kitchen utensils.
- When it’s no longer transparent, add the flour, stirring well so that all the ingredients are mixed in well.
- You should now add the shrimps to the frying pan, sautéing everything together.
- From here, precede with the béchamel sauce. To do this, add the warm milk and stir continuously until it thickens. Once this is achieved, add some salt and let it sit.
- Then chop the onion and garlic. Sauté and add the peppers when both vegetables become transparent. After 5 more minutes of cooking, add the cream and let it reduce, blending at the end with a hand blender.
- To finish off, fill the peppers with the béchamel sauce, place in a casserole dish and spread the sauce on top.
- Bake everything for 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (350 F) with the oven preheated and ready.
Benefits of peppers stuffed with cod and shrimps
The regular inclusion of peppers stuffed with cod and shrimps in the diet can have a number of health benefits. It’s a recipe that provides proteins of high biological value. These nutrients are essential for maintaining good muscle function in the medium and long term. This is evidenced by research published in the journal Nutrients.
Moreover, peppers are a source of vitamin C, an element involved in many different processes within the human body. Maintaining its levels within optimal ranges has been shown to optimize the function of the immune system. Thus, the incidence of infectious pathologies is reduced and symptoms lessened.
At the same time, we shouldn’t forget that sea products contain large amounts of iodine. This mineral is key to ensuring that the thyroid gland performs its task properly.
You may be interested in this recipe: Cod in Pil Pil Sauce: A Dish You Can’t Miss
Prepare stuffed peppers with cod and shrimps at home
As you have seen, it’s very easy to prepare this delicious dish of peppers stuffed with cod and prawns at home. It’s a healthy recipe that can be consumed on a regular basis. It provides many quality nutrients and allows the regular inclusion of fish and seafood in the diet, something that is very beneficial for our health.
Finally, apart from eating well, you should also combine this with other good habits, such as regular physical exercise.It might interest you...