Which is more beneficial: egg whites or yolks?
While the egg white has no fat, the egg yolk is rich in protein, so both are appropriate and we should eat them together.
Are you passionate about eggs? If so perhaps more than once you’ve wondered which is more beneficial – the egg white or egg yolk. Experts tell us that, in general, eating the whole egg is very healthy. That said, every part of the egg has specific components that we invite you to discover in this article.
Eggs are an essential part of our diet, a high source of nutrients worth including in our everyday meals. You do not need to worry about the false myth of their high level of cholesterol. These are predominately unsaturated fatty acids which are ideal for taking care of our cardiovascular system.
So let’s get to know the benefits of each part of the egg, shall we?
Benefits of egg whites
Which do you like more: egg whites or egg yolks? There are many people who separate one part of the egg from the other, thinking that they are taking better care of their cholesterol. It is thought that the egg white is the most healthy part of the egg. Let’s see what all the benefits are:
- Egg whites have absolutely no fat. They have very few calories which makes them a very healthy food. The greatest risk occurs when we eat, for example, a fried egg, as the oil used is what contains the fat dangerous to our health.
- They are rich in vitamin B complex
- Egg whites have fewer calories than egg yolks.
- They tend to be well suited for weight loss. Many people eat only egg whites for their breakfast because they provide much protein, vitamins and are also satisfying. However, we don’t recommend eating “only” egg whites for breakfast. It is better if you combine them with other foods, like a bowl of oatmeal or a fruit smoothie, for example.
- Egg whites are used for many beauty remedies: they are excellent for toning and softening the skin and can also treat any type of irritation.
- Egg whites also have a kind of peptide that helps to lower blood pressure.
Benefits of egg yolks
- Egg yolks have more protein than egg whites.
- The yolk is rich in fat. Surely you know that. Their content is about 4 grams of fat per egg, of which only 1.5 grams are saturated or negative fats. The rest are unsaturated fats and are very beneficial to the body. Their cholesterol level is very low and therefore harmless to healthy people. If you tend to have high cholesterol you can somewhat restrict their consumption, but don’t eliminate them completely since their protein index is very beneficial.
- Egg yolk is a powerful source of vitamins and minerals. It is rich in iron, phosphorus, potassium and magnesium. As for vitamins you will find the following: vitamin A, E, D, B9 (folic acid), B12, B6, B2 and B1. Nor should we forget that it is one of the few foods rich in vitamin D.
- Another fact about egg yolks that we must not ignore: they contain a substance called choline. Do you know why this is beneficial? It is good for brain health, for our memory and to fight diseases such as Alzheimer’s or dementia. Impressive without a doubt.
- Egg yolk is also rich in lecithin. What this element does is join with the cholesterol to prevent it from being completely absorbed by the body. Lecithin is essential to nurture and care for our bone marrow, brain, liver, heart and nervous system. It helps care for our heart health and also helps to improve memory and concentration. Who can say now that eating egg yolks is something unhealthy? Absolutely no one!
- There are many people who eat raw egg yolks or combine them raw with smoothies in order to obtain the protein. This is a mistake. Eating raw egg yolks can cause diseases such as salmonellosis. You should know that it is always better to eat cooked egg yolks since the health properties will remain the same and you will avoid any problems.
In conclusion: Which is more beneficial: egg white or egg yolk? Both parts are healthy. The egg white is fat free and the egg yolk, although it has a small amount of saturated fats, is very rich in protein. What is the recommendation? Eat whole eggs. Along with a varied and balanced diet you will be taking great care of your health. And they are delicious!