Great for breakfast or as a delicious snack or treat at anytime of day, apple sponge cake is something the whole family will like. It is simple to make and has a special ingredient that is not only healthy but easy to get your hands on. Who isn’t crazy about those healthy apples? Don’t hesitate to read on, you will love this apple sponge cake recipe and surprise everyone in the kitchen.
Apple Sponge Cake Recipe
The main secret to this apple sponge cake recipe is its delicious apple flavor and spongy texture. If you would like, and as a suggestion, you can also add walnuts, but that will depend on your taste. This sponge cake also tends to have a satisfying effect and is not too high in calories, especially when compared to the ones that you can buy in any supermarket. It’s definitely best to make it at home so that you can be sure that the ingredients are completely natural. Take notes:
What You Need to Make Apple Sponge Cake
The sponge cake recipe below will serve about six people. So, these are the amounts to use as a guideline:
- 1 natural yogurt
- 350 g of flour
- 4 eggs
- 125 g of butter
- 250 g of sugar
- 1 envelope of Royal yeast (12 grams)
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla sugar
- 3 big Golden apples
- 1 pinch of salt
How to Make it
- First: The first thing to do is whisk the eggs with the sugar until the volume doubles. To make it more spongy, it’s best to separate the egg yolks and whites, whisking the former until they look like snow. Meanwhile, add the sugar to the yolks and mix well. Then, mix them together little by little, as well as the yogurt, while still stirring to not let it fall. It is very easy!
- Second step: Mix the yeast with the flour and add it to the same bowl you have the eggs mixed with the yogurt in. Don’t stop whisking. When it is well mixed, let sit for 10 minutes.
- Now melt the butter a little bit and add a pinch of salt. As a result, you will get the sweet flavor to stand out a lot more. Beat everything together with the mix from before until there are no more lumps.
- Now what? The apples. Wash them, peel them, remove the core, and cut them into very thin strips. It’s very important to peel and cut the apples last because they will oxidize when they come in contact with the air. This is a very simple and practical trick. Once they are cut, add half to the bowl with the mixture.
- Now you will prepare the special container that you will use as a mold to go into the oven. That is where you will pour your egg, yogurt, and apple mixture – half of it. Put the other half on top of the mixture, and sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon and a tablespoon of vanilla sugar.
- Put the sponge cake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes. Once this time has passed, poke the sponge cake with a fork to test if it is done.
- When it is done, take it out of the oven, because otherwise it can become very dry. Remove it from the mold carefully and put it on a plate. Let it sit for 20 minutes before trying it. It is delicious and smells great, like apples and cinnamon!