A Smoothie to Stimulate Your Brain and Improve Mood
It’s delicious, easy to make and truly energizing.
This smoothie is the magic formula to increase your productivity throughout the day. What’s more is that it will improve your mood.
Coffee is just not enough to get your day going. Your energy levels will peak for no more than an hour to an hour and a half.
However, by combining two ingredients like avocado and unsweetened cocoa powder you’ll not only enjoy increased energy, but you’ll feel fuller longer.
Something you’ve probably noticed is that avocados are not very popular in most diets. They are becoming a staple ingredient in most vegan diets, but we really need to start dispelling the myth that they can cause weight gain.
We assure you this energy-packed smoothie will not increase your waist size. In fact, its fiber will help you lose weight and its fatty acids will provide you with a feeling of satiety.
Your brain will thank you and your mood will improve because you won’t wake up in the morning with a headache.
Avocado and chocolate to stimulate the brain
The caloric content of combining chocolate with avocado probably sounds like a ticking time bomb for health to most of our readers. But nothing could be further from the truth.
You should read: What to Eat to Naturally Fight Fatigue
These two foods satisfy the brain. But you need to know when and how to consume them. We’ll give you all the information you need to know in today’s article.
Chocolate slows cognitive decline
To stimulate the brain, we’ll be using organic dark cocoa powder, which is naturally gluten- and sugar-free.
It’s the classic vitamin supplement sold in pharmacies or specialty food stores. The formula consists of just dark chocolate powder and all its vitamins, free of any lactose.
However, you can try adding an ounce of chocolate. We suggest choosing organic as it’s the healthiest choice.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits chocolate has to offer for your brain:
- According to an article published in Medical Daily, eating chocolate regularly in moderation offers several benefits for your cerebral health as it helps fight cognitive decline.
- Data from a study conducted in 2016 at the University of Adelaide (Australia) found that eating 25-28 grams of sugar-free dark chocolate every day optimized brain function due to its high concentrations of flavonoids, magnesium and B vitamins. The flavonoids in dark chocolate are just as beneficial as those found in red wine, tea, grape, and apples.
- The best time to eat chocolate is in the morning. This is when your body best assimilates these types of foods. It’s also when the brain needs this energy most for focusing attention and working memory.
Avocados improve mood
Avocados are rich in monosaturated fatty acids, a type of fat needed by the body to maintain heart health.
- Don’t overdo it though. Eat half an avocado every day or every other day as part of a complete and healthy diet.
- According to a study published in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, avocados contain folic acid which prevents homocysteine from accumulating in the brain.
This substance can damage circulation and prevent nutrients from reaching the brain.
- Excess homocysteine may also interfere with serotonin dopamine and norepinephrine production. These neurotransmitters are responsible for regulating our moods and even sleep-wake cycles.
Don’t hesitate to enjoy chocolate and avocado together in this amazing smoothie that stimulates your mind and fights “morning apathy.”
How to make a smoothie that will stimulate the mind and improve mood
- 1 cup almond milk;
- ½ avocado;
- 1 ½ tablespoon organic, sugar-free powdered cocoa;
- 10 blueberries;
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil.
∗If you don’t have coconut oil, add a tablespoon of honey.
Discover The Best Energy Boosting Smoothies
As we mentioned above, powdered dark chocolate can be found in health food stores and pharmacies. It’s the classic energy and health supplement that completes any diet.
- The first thing you need to do is cut the avocado in half, before chopping into small chunks.
- Combine everything in the blender. Almond milk is the ideal ingredient for stimulating the brain.
- Blend well until smooth. We assure you the taste is absolutely sensational and your energy and mood will noticeably improve.
What are you waiting for? Go ahead and try it!
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Messerli, F. H. (2012). Chocolate Consumption, Cognitive Function, and Nobel Laureates. New England Journal of Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMon1211064
- Crichton, G. E., Elias, M. F., & Alkerwi, A. (2016). Chocolate intake is associated with better cognitive function: The Maine-Syracuse Longitudinal Study. Appetite. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2016.02.010
- Nurk, E., Refsum, H., Drevon, C. A., Tell, G. S., Nygaard, H. A., Engedal, K., & Smith, A. D. (2009). Intake of Flavonoid-Rich Wine, Tea, and Chocolate by Elderly Men and Women Is Associated with Better Cognitive Test Performance. The Journal of Nutrition. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.108.095182